• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fired for taking care of sick sister

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mmmaylo

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Iowa

I was wondering if I have a case against my previous employer.I worked there 8 years.I was fired for missing to many days.But I was taking my sister who has terminal cancer to doctor apponitments and chemo sessions.My immediate supervisor was saying I could have this time off but I was counted as absent.The weekend before I was fired I was ill,I called in.When talking to unemployment rep she said that I was put down as excused called in properly-unexcused.All managers kept telling me if I need time off to tell,them there was no problem. Thank You.

rmet4nzkx

mmmaylo said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Iowa

I was wondering if I have a case against my previous employer.I worked there 8 years.I was fired for missing to many days.But I was taking my sister who has terminal cancer to doctor apponitments and chemo sessions.My immediate supervisor was saying I could have this time off but I was counted as absent.The weekend before I was fired I was ill,I called in.When talking to unemployment rep she said that I was put down as excused called in properly-unexcused.All managers kept telling me if I need time off to tell,them there was no problem. Thank You.
Did you apply for FMLA? You will have to asnwer some questions first to determin if you qualify.

mmmaylo

thanks for the reply :)
I wasn't on a leave. But I did take a leave earlier that month. A personal one, to handle the depression of finding out that the doctor felt there wasn't much more hope.I knew I couldn't afford to take anymore time off, I was the only income in household.I am drawing unemployment.

rmet4nzkx

That doesn't answer the question.
Did you take a personal leave because you were not qualified for FMLA?
Have you heard of Hospice care for your sister?
Has your sister applied for Social Security disability?

Beth3

rmet, the FMLA doesn't apply here. It is limited to caring for the parents, spouse, and children of the employee. If the poster's sister is a minor and the poster has acted in loco parentis in raising her, then the FMLA would apply but absent that, it does not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">