• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fired for taking a lunch break??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mikey77

I work full time in a small privately owned retail shop in NH. I have been at my job for 6 years and have received nothing but praise from my fellow coworkers and customers alike. In fact i practically run the business. My boss(the owner of the store) is hardly ever there. He shows up when he wants, refuses to hire anyone else to help out the shop and makes me carry a majority of the load. Now my question is this. My boss called and told me that he wasn't going to be able to make it into work. I was the only person working. Now keep in mind there is no set lunch time at the place that i work. I usually just end up munching on food while i take on customers. I was really hungary so i put a sign on the door that said "be back in 10 minutes". I ran down the street and grabbed something to bring back with me. My boss finds out and tells me i can never leave the store again or i will be fired. He told me i should have brought a lunch with me. I told him that i have a right to a 30 minute lunch(which i never even get to take anyway due to all of the customers). He told me i should have just "ate the crackers that were available while i waited on customers. He than threatened to fire me again and told me "i dont care what the law says AND LUNCH IS NO EXCUSE you stay in this store at all times"

IS THIS LEGAL? CAN I SUE?

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Under NH law, you are entitled to a 30 minute lunch break after five hours of work EXCEPT if it is feasible for you to eat while working and the employer allows you to do so. Your employer does allow you to do so and the fact that you have done so in the past indicates that it is feasible.

You were not fired. He may have threatened to fire you but he did not do so. You have not suffered any damages and you now know that he does not want you to leave the store, which is legal. No, you can't sue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">