• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired for tampering with a doctor's note

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lisa3000

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MO
My daughter was fired for tampering with a doctor's note - which she vehemently denies. She was shown the note on the Monday before she was dismissed (on Friday). It looked like the date had been changed from a 15 to a 16 (she had missed both days of work). Her supervisor told her to get a copy of the note from the urgent care facility she had gotten it from, but when she went there, they told her that once they have transcribed the notes, they destroy the handwritten copies. She relayed that information to her supervisor and that Friday (after 1 year and 2 days on the job) she was dismissed. Her union steward was silent throughout the meeting, but afterwards told her that she could file a grievance (which she did) and that there were others who had also been fired as a result of doctor's notes from that same urgent care facility.
My questions:
Does she even have a shot at getting her job back (she loved it)?
Should she hire an attorney? This business has been open in this area for just over a year - the union steward has about 6 months on the job. I have little confidence in these union reps. This local represented about a dozen people (for the last 20 years) until this new facility opened and now they have about 600 members. I took a printout to the union office about a MO statute regarding final wages due at the time of termination - they had never heard of it. They won't give us any information on the others who have been fired because of doctor's notes at the urgent care facility, which I can understand, but I'm not certain they know how to handle the information they have!
Is there any recourse against the urgent care facility? the union? am I just a meddling Mom who may do more harm than good? Eagerly awaiting your responses....

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MO
My daughter was fired for tampering with a doctor's note - which she vehemently denies. She was shown the note on the Monday before she was dismissed (on Friday). It looked like the date had been changed from a 15 to a 16 (she had missed both days of work). Her supervisor told her to get a copy of the note from the urgent care facility she had gotten it from, but when she went there, they told her that once they have transcribed the notes, they destroy the handwritten copies. She relayed that information to her supervisor and that Friday (after 1 year and 2 days on the job) she was dismissed. Her union steward was silent throughout the meeting, but afterwards told her that she could file a grievance (which she did) and that there were others who had also been fired as a result of doctor's notes from that same urgent care facility.
My questions:
Does she even have a shot at getting her job back (she loved it)?
Should she hire an attorney? This business has been open in this area for just over a year - the union steward has about 6 months on the job. I have little confidence in these union reps. This local represented about a dozen people (for the last 20 years) until this new facility opened and now they have about 600 members. I took a printout to the union office about a MO statute regarding final wages due at the time of termination - they had never heard of it. They won't give us any information on the others who have been fired because of doctor's notes at the urgent care facility, which I can understand, but I'm not certain they know how to handle the information they have!
Is there any recourse against the urgent care facility? the union? am I just a meddling Mom who may do more harm than good? Eagerly awaiting your responses....

**A: something sounds a bit strange with the story.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
To answer your last question first, yes, you should stay out of it and yes, you can do more harm than good getting involved.

What recourse she has is going to depend ENTIRELY on her union contract. As far as the law is concerned, it is legal for an employer to fire her on suspicion of misconduct, even if they are mistaken. From a legal perspective, this was an entirely legal termination; they have no legal obligation to give her, her job back and it would be a waste of money to bring an attorney into it.

If her union contract provides her with other protections she will need to go through her union to access them.

Hot Topic

Your daughter should be the one posting. Nothing has been done to you. She should have been the one to take the printout to the union office. She should be the one asking whether it's worth her while to hire an attorney. What you feel about the union reps is irrelevant. You had no business asking about other employees who had been fired. Your feeling that the union office doesn't know how to handle the information it has is irrelevant.

Butt out, mom.

Lisa3000

Specifics

What exactly sounds strange about the story - my daughter's actions? the company's actions? the union's actions? the urgent care facility's actions? These are the facts as I know them. I've always worked for small, family-owned businesses, so I'm really at a loss to know the inner workings of major coporations.

Lisa3000

Clarifications

1. I should Have said WE took the printout to the union office - but, yes, I was the one who handed it over.

2. WE didn't ask about other employees who had been fired - this information was offered by two different union reps at two different times.

Thanks for the info...I will tell her she needs to take a good look at her union contract.

I will definitely take the "butt out" under advisement! I really would prefer that she fight her own battles.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">