• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired in texas after breaking arm

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

Willlyjo

I broke my arm and returned to work in Texas. I am receiving disability income for a short time 12% disabled, i am not receiving my wages. I am on light duty. I was fired (laid off because we were slow) a month after I returned to work on light duty. My wages were cut off after i missed a designated doctors appointment I had no knowledge of. I went to court the judge said I am to be receiving tibs. they still will not pay.
What exactly is "tibs"? Is this a work related injury? Please provide more information so you can be provided with an accurate answer based on your situation.

Last edited by a moderator:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
How long were you out of work? How long have you worked for the employer? How large is the employer?

commentator

What exactly is "tibs"? Is this a work related injury? Please provide more information so you can be provided with an accurate answer based on your situation.
I think this poster just needs to talk to his attorney. What does he think we could do, fax him back some money or advice or something?

If he broke his arm on the job or off, and went back to work, even light duty, he was back on the company's payroll, that's the only thing they could legally be doing with someone who was on their property working.

If it was an on the job injury, he went off worker's comp (the 66% of his regular pay) as soon as he resumed work, even light duty work. If this was not an on the job injury, they don't have to let him do anything, and he's very lucky they didn't just fire him outright after giving him FMLA if he was eligible for it. That's why I think it must have been a work related situation. It must also have been a very serious break to warrant a 12% permanent disability.

If they needed to do so, the company could very well lay him off due to lack of work while he was working light duty. He would file for unemployment insurance, and might or might not be approved for it, depending on the situation. Likely he'd be approveable, if he was available and able to the same extent that he was while working.

If his worker's comp claim was settled, and he received a 12% disability rating, they'd have to pay it to him either weekly or in a lump sum. It's awfully hard to make anything of this without a lot more information, which the OP doesn't seem to want to provide.

Last edited:

TigerD

When they have to twist your arm so far that it breaks, you should expect to be fired soon.

DC

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">