• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired today

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

chippergurl

What is the name of your state? MI

I was fired today. No reason given just that they don't want me.

I am/was in customer service meeting the public at times. I think I was fired because I have gained 80lbs in the last year and am not "presentable" for the company anymore. They just said I need to get myself under control. I don't know what that means since I was never written up for poor performance or complaints from any customers.

I also know they have no women in management. I was in management until recently, just demoted a few weeks before I was fired, and a new man took over my position in management.

Can I claim wrongful termination due to weight or gender discrimination?

Thank you.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Michigan is the SOLE state that permits a claim on the basis of weight. If that is what you believe is the reason for your term, you can file a complaint. However, their comment about your "controlling yourself" leads me to believe that there is something you aren't telling us.

C

chippergurl

I am telling you everything I know. The statement of controlling myself I think was about my weight. I gained it in a year because of my divorce. I know, I know most women lose weight during a divorce, but I didn't.

I was not given any warning that my job performance was bad or that they didn't like me. I was just fired today, the only excuse was to get myself under control. By the way I was the heaviest woman in the offices.

I don't like being overweight and that is something I definately will work on.

Who do I file a complaint with? Do I need an attorney or go to the labor board? I am at a loss here.

Thank you for your response.

C

chippergurl

Some men like fat chicks. I guess your boss wasn't one of them.
That is my point. My job performance had not altered. Why should I be fired for being fat?

C

chippergurl

Ha ha ha ha Mr. Iaal. Loved the top 10. Your point is being taken seriously why this fat person was fired without justice. Fat people are discriminated against.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Sorry, that wasn't my point.

My point was to feed into your angst. You see, you're only assuming that it was your fatness, but the reality is that you have no idea if that's the reason, or some other reason.

IAAL

Last edited by a moderator:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If you are convinced that the SOLE reason you were fired is because of your weight, you file a complaint with the Michigan Department of Civil Rights. I'm not convinced that you're right, but that's the place to start to find out.

I just want to emphasize, for the benefit of anyone else reading here, that Michigan is the ONLY state that offers this kind of protection. (The District of Columbia offers protection based on "personal appearance".) Had this happened in ANY other state, you would be SOL.

C

chippergurl

I am not convinced I am right either. I know that I had no warnings, reprimands. Nothing. I may be grasping at straws here on the fat issue, but it is a place to start.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">