• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired from Toys r Us

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gundar1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona. I will be as brief as possible.
My son is 21, on his first job and is very shy. He was fired today from Toys R Us. He was hired as part time for the hollidays. He was a good worker etc. He believed he was doing a good thing when he used his employee discount card for upset customers who were ready to leave with out a purchase for various reasons. He convinced them to purchase items by giving them a 10% discount. After 2 months and about 30 discounts he was called into a managers office (one in person and one on speaker phone) and asked about this and he explained that he thought it was a good thing. After talking he understood their problem with this but they didn't care about holding onto the customers. They said (with out any fact based figures) that he cost them $600. but they would settle if he paid them $300 for what they lost. He reminded them that the customers were walking out the door and he actually made them money. They said sign this paper agreeing to repay them in 1 months time or it would turn into a legal problem and he would face theft charges. So my son signed the paper and then he was fired. They gave him no copy and he didn't read it so I don't know what it exactly said. I am just looking for a bit of advice for when he recieves a bill from them. Thank you for your help.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona. I will be as brief as possible.
My son is 21, on his first job and is very shy. He was fired today from Toys R Us. He was hired as part time for the hollidays. He was a good worker etc. He believed he was doing a good thing when he used his employee discount card for upset customers who were ready to leave with out a purchase for various reasons. He convinced them to purchase items by giving them a 10% discount. After 2 months and about 30 discounts he was called into a managers office (one in person and one on speaker phone) and asked about this and he explained that he thought it was a good thing. After talking he understood their problem with this but they didn't care about holding onto the customers. They said (with out any fact based figures) that he cost them $600. but they would settle if he paid them $300 for what they lost. He reminded them that the customers were walking out the door and he actually made them money. They said sign this paper agreeing to repay them in 1 months time or it would turn into a legal problem and he would face theft charges. So my son signed the paper and then he was fired. They gave him no copy and he didn't read it so I don't know what it exactly said. I am just looking for a bit of advice for when he recieves a bill from them. Thank you for your help.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
They did have every right to fire him, he used his discount improperly and thereby stole from his employer.

Hot Topic

Your son used his card to give people discounts that they weren't entitled to. If he really thought the discounts were a good idea, he would have discussed the matter with a manager and obtained approval. He had some nerve as a holiday worker to do what he did, and he should reimburse the company without complaint. It doesn't sound like he's mature enough to handle a job, and that should concern you.

cyjeff

As long as we are on the subject of jobs....

Your son should realize that any future reference may include his theft. Further, he may (and most probably will) be added to the National Theft Database.

This means that he should avoid trying to get a job in retail.

commentator

I have a very strong suspicion that when he was given his initial hiring paperwork, including the employee discount card, he was asked to sign a statement of some type that specifically prohibited him from allowing ineligible people to use his employee discount. Doing otherwise was just wrong, and he should have been able to figure this out even if he was baby innocent.

Though it is, I will admit, a brilliant justification for what he did.

If he is going to use this argument, I hope he can prove that the misuse of the card really was for disgruntled customers, not just for his friends and family members he wished to bless with this discount.

cyjeff

I have a very strong suspicion that when he was given his initial hiring paperwork, including the employee discount card, he was asked to sign a statement of some type that specifically prohibited him from allowing ineligible people to use his employee discount. Doing otherwise was just wrong, and he should have been able to figure this out even if he was baby innocent.

Though it is, I will admit, a brilliant justification for what he did.

If he is going to use this argument, I hope he can prove that the misuse of the card really was for disgruntled customers, not just for his friends and family members he wished to bless with this discount.
Actually, it doesn't matter whether he used it improperly for strangers or friends.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">