• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired from the Twilight Zone

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nigelpowers

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

I was just terminated after receiving a raise AND a bonus. Back in January, my manager was unable to lead his team (which I was on), and made me the scapegoat: he called me into a conference room with HR and slandered me by claiming I was sleeping with the Program Manger on the team, and that numerous people had said that I wanted to leave the team. When I asked for examples, they wouldn't give me any information. The HR representative wanted to put me on a performance plan, but my manager deferred, saying that it wasn't necessary. I logged ALL of his requests to me for the next week or so, and then he was told to work on a different project, and to not manage me anymore.

I qualified for, and received my full quarterly bonus.

A week ago, I had my annual review, and was given a raise.

Fast-forward to yesterday: the director of the dept fired me for "these behavior issues going back to January" and threw in "intimidation" as a new allegation/slander against my character (again, providing absolutely no frame of reference). The director said that he personally had not observed any of the behaviors I was accused of (we've shared about 25 meetings over the last 4 months), but the behavior was intolerable and I had to go.

I know that I have been working "at the whim" of my employer but I hadn't realized that workers can be treated like this now. It's really OK to just blindly slander an employee? To me, it seems painfully obvious that they fired me now because they couldn't AFFORD to fire me back in January, and that my former manager has some kind of golden calf status at the company (this is the 3rd project that has horribly failed under his leadership). They tried to make me leave of their own accord, and when that didn't work, they waited until my project was done and THEN fired me. If the behavior was "intolerable," why did they tolerate it, give my bonus, and give me a raise?

I haven't signed my agreement with this company in which a affirm my consent to just lie down and take it. But I'm ready to. I just thought I should post my story in case I do have some kind of legal recourse available. After reading many of the posts on this board, though, I'm going to guess that my best option is to go get a new job. But if someone out there thinks I DO have a valid complaint, I would love to hear some feedback.

justalayman

as you are aware, you were a victim of the employment at will doctrine. You or they could terminate the employment relationship at will. They decided it was time for you to go.

The only issue you have is; will the company report what you claim is slanderous to the state unemployment department such that you do not receive UI benefits or communicate them to a future employment prospect such that it damages your possibility at being hired. So far, those are questions that cannot be answered.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I think you may have a valid claim, but not on the termination. I think you're probably stuck there.

However, I would encourage you to discuss with either the EEOC or an employment attorney, the accusation that you were sleeping with the Project Manager. It may not come to anything, but it's definitely worth checking into.

W

Willlyjo

I think you may have a valid claim, but not on the termination. I think you're probably stuck there.

However, I would encourage you to discuss with either the EEOC or an employment attorney, the accusation that you were sleeping with the Project Manager. It may not come to anything, but it's definitely worth checking into.
I believe that it appears the OP was fired among other things, for sleeping with the Project Manager. This, IMHO, makes it a Wrongful Termination in breach of Public Policy in regards to sexual harrassment. Other than that, I agree, the OP should definitely file a claim with the EEOC and consult with one of many labor law Attorneys in the Washington area.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If you are correct, Willy, the attorney will be able to determine that. However, since you are famous for reading things that aren't there, I shan't hold my breath waiting.

And Willy, I give you fair warning. Do not mess with me today. If you want to know why not, turn on the news. That is MY city and I am home today because my employer is under the lockdown. Once again, do not mess with me or I will tear you into shreds. I am in no mood to deal with your blatant idiocy and incorrect interpretations of the law and if the mods want to ban me for saying that, let them.

commentator

Hang in there, cbg, you're in my thoughts and prayers, as is the whole city and all you all.

Yes, unfortunately, there is very little for you to do except move forward. I doubt very strongly if one allegation that you're sleeping with the project manager is going to make an EEOC worthy grievance, but it's worth a check. But do that AFTER you have filed for unemployment insurance which you need to do immediately if you aren't done so already.

You will be asked why you are no longer working for the "Twilight Zone" (I love it too!) You'll explain that you were fired for something that you'd been reprimanded for back in .....and tell them the story as you've told us. In order to keep you from receiving unemployment insurance, the company would have to show that they had a valid misconduct reason to terminate you.

That it happened way back when,and that you've been retained all this time, given appropriate reviews and bonuses, and carried on until now is going to be greatly in your favor when they start arguing that they gave you opportunities to change the behavior they didn't like and you refused to change. It's coming down to "If this was misconduct, you should have fired him/her then, not kept them until the job was done." The old, "My boss slapped my face last February, so I quit today" deal. You did something wrong in January, we fired you for it in April. Won't fly, your chances of unemployment approval are very good.

Unfortunately, the paychecks, the bonuses, and the job you continued to have until now are just about all you will be able to get out of this employer. Along with unemployment insurance until you can find another job. They are trying to get out of laying you off and allowing you to draw benefits until you find something else. But it won't wash with the unemployment system. Maybe this manager is married to the owner's sister. You never can tell. But yes, they can, legally believe his bullcrap, enable him to misperform again and again, and falsely accuse you, treat you like $%! and terminate you whimsically when they no longer need you. After giving you great reviews and everything else. They only thing they legally cannot do is treat you poorly because you are a member of a protected category, in this case, we assume, female? Unemployment will have nothing to do with this aspect of your termination.

To see if that's a valid issue, you'll have to file a complaint with the EEOC. A good attorney should be able to tell you, before taking any of your money, whether it sounds like you'd have any chance with an EEOC suit. To me, from what I hear here, there's probably nothing there. There really needs to be a pattern of sexual harassment for it to be a really good case. Move on, move toward the light, away from the strange grey zone you've been in recently, and do better, that's the best revenge.

W

Willlyjo

If you are correct, Willy, the attorney will be able to determine that. However, since you are famous for reading things that aren't there, I shan't hold my breath waiting.

And Willy, I give you fair warning. Do not mess with me today. If you want to know why not, turn on the news. That is MY city and I am home today because my employer is under the lockdown. Once again, do not mess with me or I will tear you into shreds. I am in no mood to deal with your blatant idiocy and incorrect interpretations of the law and if the mods want to ban me for saying that, let them.
Much respect for you CBG in regard to the events going on in your city. I'm sorry, but why does that give you the right to use such events to wrongfully threaten me about blatant idiocy and incorrect interpretations of the law?
"If you are correct, Willy (sic), the attorney will be able to determine that."

I guess this statement by you means that I could be correct, right? So where is the blatant idiocy and incorrect interpretations in my posts within this thread? My intention isn't to mess with anybody--my intention is to respond to those who are concerned about issues such as that the OP has posted.

And...although Boston is not my city, it is still part of my Country and as such, I'm also concerned about those like you who may be greatly affected by the events that happened. Hope you aren't out of work for too long!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, that does not suggest that you might be correct, Willy. It was a last ditch attempt to leave you with a little dignity. Though why I bother, I don't know - you embarrass yourself every time you open your mouth.

Last warning. Keep your mouth SHUT when it comes to employment law. You know nothing about it, you never have known anything about it, you have given no indication that you will ever learn anything about it, and your reading comprehension is abysmal. Since that word has three syllables and I'm not sure you can read words of three syllables, that means you can't read.

I have had it up to HERE with your nonsense.

justalayman

so, a question: how does an accusation of the OP having an affair with some other person equate to anything the EEOC is involved in?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It may not. It's the only thing even remotely close to a valid claim provided by the facts provided, though.

W

Willlyjo

No, that does not suggest that you might be correct, Willy. It was a last ditch attempt to leave you with a little dignity. Though why I bother, I don't know - you embarrass yourself every time you open your mouth.

Last warning. Keep your mouth SHUT when it comes to employment law. You know nothing about it, you never have known anything about it, you have given no indication that you will ever learn anything about it, and your reading comprehension is abysmal. Since that word has three syllables and I'm not sure you can read words of three syllables, that means you can't read.

I have had it up to HERE with your nonsense.
You know, if you are so bothered by what took place in your hometown that it would cause you to make these emotional outbursts clutering your common sense and reasoning, at my expense, maybe you should have taken the day off here as well, until you can think with more clarity.

Don't lie and profess to leave me any dignity here--and my posts concerning employment law speak for themselves, so don't think you can warn me to keep my mouth shut if I can give reasonable advice to someone with issues surrounding employment law. My reading comprehension is above average and your ignorant lashing out is quite abysmal. :rolleyes: But I guess that is the norm in this forum. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You're right about that, willy. They do speak for themselves - as a total load of twaddle. And anyone who really does know anything about employment law will see that instantly. What concerns me is the number of posters who don't know the law and might actually take you seriously. Doesn't it ever bother you that you might harm someone's case with your made up "laws"? Where do you get the idea that you actually know what you're doing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">