• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired under false accusation and then threatened....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jenna91772

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? MA

I was fired because someone (don't know who) told my boss I they saw me put money in my tip jar that I shouldn't have. I did no such thing. I was told that I would be mailed my check. It has been almost two weeks since I was fired and still no check. I called and talked to the owner and he told me that I wasn't getting my money. When I pointed out to him that by state law, he should have had it for my the day I was fired, he told me that if I started any trouble for him that he would have a detective (police have frequented this restaurant for many years and many know the owner personally) file a report and have me arrested. I don't want to be arrested for something I absolutely didn't do, but I don't want this guy to get away with it. What course of action should I take?

Beth3

Mass. reg's do indeed require that an employee who is fired be paid at once. You may contact MA's DOL (which I believe in your State is the Attorney General's office) and file a complaint.

he told me that if I started any trouble for him that he would have a detective (police have frequented this restaurant for many years and many know the owner personally) file a report and have me arrested. I think he's just trying to intimidate you. While of course anything is possible, it seems highly unlikely that a law enforcement officer is going to arrest you on the say-so of a former boss with an axe to grind when there is absolutely no evidence that you broke any law.

Call the AG's office and file a complaint for your unpaid wages.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">