• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired.....Unemployment???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lds

What is the name of your state? My state is North Carolina.. I was recently fired from my job as a receptionist at an oral surgery practice. I had been at this job for 2 1/2 years and worked full time. Before I get into the reason that my boss said he terminated me, I need to give you a bit more info. This past year my 15 yr old son has put me and my husband "through the ringer". He got in trouble with the law, ran away, didn't finish the 9th grade and other numerous disturbing situations which "rocked the boat" at home. When all this went down, I did tell my boss and co-workers that I was having problems at home with my teenager. My boss seemed genuinely concerned about my son and stated on several occasions that he understood and if something came up and I needed to be out of the office, it would be OK. Well, needless to say, I did have to take some days off here and there. My son had to appear in court, we had regular scheduled meetings with his juvenile court-appointed counselor, meetings with his ninth grade guidance counselor and we had him seeing a private psychologist. There were certainly times when I had to be away from the office and he ALWAYS pre-approved these times. Well about three weeks ago, I arrived at work and he said he needed to talk to me about something. In front of the ENTIRE front office staff he said that he needed to "terminate my employment" there and that he and my other front office co-workers felt that I had been spending too much time away from the office. I was never given any written reprimands (sp?) or warnings of any type from him. I actually thought he was joking when he said it. Well, he wasn't joking and I proceeded to pack up my belongings and hit the door! I did not receive any severence pay. Despite all the turmoil at my home, I always tried to stay focused and "cheerful" as to not bring my problems at home into work. I was never disciplined that my work was not up to par or that I didn't seem focused. In fact I use to tell everyone I worked with that I was thankful to have a job because it let me take my mind off the things that were going on at home. So I got fired and am wondering if I should try to apply for unemployment. I have never done this before but I feel in light of how this situation was handled I should at least try. What do you think. Thanks in advance for any input you can give me. By the way, things at home with my 15 yr old are looking up!!! lds

First it is a terrible thing what you went through and it can suck really really bad when an employer acts like they are going to work with you then do what they have done. However, here is a link for you to try and file your claim

http://www.ncesc.com/individual/faqs/faqMain.asp

it appears that you do not quailfy since you would had to been terminated through no fault of your own. Good things are looking up for you at home. Unforunately employment labor laws most of the time favor the employer , but the good news is you now have a new opportunity to find a better job. Good Luck ..... :)

BelizeBreeze

lds said:
What is the name of your state? My state is North Carolina.. I was recently fired from my job as a receptionist at an oral surgery practice. I had been at this job for 2 1/2 years and worked full time. Before I get into the reason that my boss said he terminated me, I need to give you a bit more info. This past year my 15 yr old son has put me and my husband "through the ringer". He got in trouble with the law, ran away, didn't finish the 9th grade and other numerous disturbing situations which "rocked the boat" at home. When all this went down, I did tell my boss and co-workers that I was having problems at home with my teenager. My boss seemed genuinely concerned about my son and stated on several occasions that he understood and if something came up and I needed to be out of the office, it would be OK. Well, needless to say, I did have to take some days off here and there. My son had to appear in court, we had regular scheduled meetings with his juvenile court-appointed counselor, meetings with his ninth grade guidance counselor and we had him seeing a private psychologist. There were certainly times when I had to be away from the office and he ALWAYS pre-approved these times. Well about three weeks ago, I arrived at work and he said he needed to talk to me about something. In front of the ENTIRE front office staff he said that he needed to "terminate my employment" there and that he and my other front office co-workers felt that I had been spending too much time away from the office. I was never given any written reprimands (sp?) or warnings of any type from him. I actually thought he was joking when he said it. Well, he wasn't joking and I proceeded to pack up my belongings and hit the door! I did not receive any severence pay. Despite all the turmoil at my home, I always tried to stay focused and "cheerful" as to not bring my problems at home into work. I was never disciplined that my work was not up to par or that I didn't seem focused. In fact I use to tell everyone I worked with that I was thankful to have a job because it let me take my mind off the things that were going on at home. So I got fired and am wondering if I should try to apply for unemployment. I have never done this before but I feel in light of how this situation was handled I should at least try. What do you think. Thanks in advance for any input you can give me. By the way, things at home with my 15 yr old are looking up!!! lds
Your decision to apply for unemployment is a personal one, NOT a legal issue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">