• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired from union job

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Ryan1306

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Iowa

I was fired from a union job (March 2004) after the bosses said I walked off the job (a fireable offense). I had my meetings with the union and they were of no help (I didn't expect them to be.) I applied for and recieved unemployment, but the company appealed. I have since won two appeals and one hearing as the administrative law judge found my actions didn't constitute misconduct. Do I have any further options regarding my termination? Are there any other appeal processes or arguments that can be used against the union or the company?

Beth3

Do I have any further options regarding my termination? Other than grieving the matter through whatever process is outlined in the CBA, no.

Are there any other appeal processes or arguments that can be used against the union or the company? See my answer above.

The UC Division finding you eligible for benefits does not mean the employer has acted improperly or unlawfully. If they want to terminate you and your union is not interested in challenging the matter, that's the end of it.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Unless your union contract grants one (and there is no possible way anyone here could know if that is the case) then I don't see any other route for you to go. The fact that you won an unemployment does not make your termination illegal and does not give you any recourse to force the company to re-hire you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">