• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fired unsure why, may be disease related?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

michigan girly

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I was recently terminated from my place of employment after 4 years 2 months. This took place November 30, 2007 around 4:30 pm.

I asked my supervisor what I did wrong to which she replied I was away from my desk too much and to0 many personal calls. She did not give specific examples or times,and had not ever warned me of this previously. I am the receptionist/ phone operator in the new car showroom of a Cadillac dealership. I have not received a performance reveiw from my supervisor since I have worked under her. Although the other girls in the business and accounting office working under her have. She is the office manager.

Here is some history and background. She was not the supervisor who interviewed and hired me. I was hired by the previous General Sales Manager. I worked under his rvison for close to 2 years and was told I was doing a great job. I was also told I was doing an "excellent" job by the owner a few months after starting. He worked out in the showroom along with other salesmen and his office was where I could see him. Everyone liked him however, after 14 years they let him go. I was then put under the office manager who is not in the showroom not visible to me, and works at our other store until noon each day before coming to or store. She is the office manager has been with the company 6 years. She can go a week without ever seeign me. She only hears my voice overhead or on the phone. She has no idea what goes on in the showroom.

Ever since I have come under her supervison she has not been all that nice to me.
There have been problems lately as a girl was fired in business office, another walked off, another put in notice and they are short staffed.

When I was terminated last week my benefits were terminated that day as well.
My 401(k) $1000 dollar employer match is also ineffective as they let me go before years end. The girl doing my job now is 23 does not get benefits, or 401 k as of this time. I trained her for the part time position. I have nothing against her. However, I do think there may be some discrimination.

Her is my story: I was diagnosed with Relapsing-Remitting Multiple Sclerosis a1 and half years ago. I did not tell my employer as fearful. It does not affect my walking, or speech. I am curious if HR saw my insurance information such as MRI, spinal tap, neuroligist which all lead to my diagnosis. I have not missed work because of this recently at all. I know people that call in way more than I. I started taking medication that I know is expensive to ward off a relapese and prevent further lesions/ scarring on my brain I only have 3 small ones as of now.

I was written up not long before my diagnosis as I had optic neuritis and had to take a couple days off work. At this time I had not received a diagnosis. Four days after coming back to work from this I was written up for not saying "my pleasure' in my phone greeting. My boss also wrote in this that she warned me 2 x to say this which was a lie. I signed this and continued to work. I never mentioned MS but testing and how I ws worried. I wonder how much HR knows about my condition and since her office is next to my boss if she told her?

I applied for unemplyment benfits this week after beign terminated andthey are also tryign to not give me that. I think it stinks right before christmas.

It does nto surprise me thye let a girl go last year who was never late, never called in. and kept herself and never gossiped. She drove 40 minutes to work. She was also let go before christmas and year's end. They replaced her with a lady from another department who didn't even have experience in that field.

So Do I have a case? I know this is a lot of information. I could give a lot more regarding the politics and other things at work but have no time.

Any information or input is appreciated.

Sincerley!:)

las365

Since you didn't inform them of your disability, it would probably be difficult for you to prove discrimination based on it.

Hot Topic

Receptionists are often treated like dirt because the general attitude is that "anyone" can answer the telephone. The duties are often boring, and there's a temptation to spend free time on the telephone chatting with friends. Unfortunately, there are receptionists who will let a visitor wait while they finish a conversation about weekend plans or the hard time their boyfriend is giving them.

You should have informed your employer about your medical situation. That you didn't effectively cuts you out of using it to claim discrimination.
The girl who's replacing you doesn't get benefits or the 401(k) at this time, and this translates to discriminating against you?

michigan girly

To Hot topic

Hot Topic,

No, that wasn't very clear in my thread about the discrimination. It was a mistake.

I didn't mean to say that my replacement didn't get benefits and 401 (k) so this was discrimination.

Legally, I do not have to tell them of any health condition I have. I was fearful of discrimination.

They do have a phone service called "Whose Calling" where they are allowed to listen in on phone calls.

By the way I didn't spend hours chatting with my boyfriend while visitors waited. I could not stand for visitors to wait and often accommodated them.

Last edited:

Betty

I agree with the other two posters that since you didn't tell them of your medical condition, you can't claim discrimination based on that.

Mi. is an at-will employment state & you can be terminated at any time for any reason not protected by law (ie age, religion, gender) or unless you have a bona fide employment contract or CBA to the contrary.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Count me in on the majority. There are multiple court rulings that an employer is not obligated to accomodate a disability that they have not been informed about. You're going to have a very hard time claiming discrimination on the basis that *maybe* HR saw your insurance information (which, btw, they would not have any access to unless your health plan is self-insured, in which case the number of people who would have access to claim information would be VERY limited) and convinced your manager to fire you on that basis.

michigan girly

Good answers

Thank You everyone for your responses.

I do have another can of worms to open, not a lawsuit but possible other reasons for dismissal.

I do know they listen in on phone calls as I did it for my previous supervisor when it was slow. We sign something allowing us to be monitored, however, it is supposed to be only long distance calls. I did have to speak with my neuroglogist during working hours a few times and my MS was mentioned. I believe they can find out from this as the new HR person is really into that. ( listening to phone calls) She has been on this job 3 months now ( had previously worked in another area)

The new girl I trained who is doing my job now has a sister that works there. Her sister is good friends with the HR person.

We have one HR person, she has had affairs with 2 married men at work. She also knows that I know about one of her affairs. I do also find it coincidental that all the people who knew of her affair are either not working there anymore (have quit or been fired). I also find it coincidental that the man she is seeing now sits very close to where I sit and eavesdrops on everything. So, if he heard anything I'm sure he would tell her.

turnover has been high lately as they fired a lady a few weeks before me. Another lady put in her 2 week notice but ended up getting mad and walking off before this was over. In less then a week after I was fired a friend of mine put in her notice as well. This is all in the same office.

By the way I don't know if I mentioned that I worked at a car dealership. They are very differnt compared to other places I have worked.:rolleyes:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You still have nothing but supposition that MAYBE HR found out about your MS. Nothing else you have posted comes even close to an illegal reason to fire you.

BTW, HR is not the one that decides who gets fired and who doesn't.

michigan girly

I know that HR doesn't determine who is fired and yes I know I do not a discrimination case.:)

I do know HR pays close attention to medical premiums going up. I know because I know people that have done this. I know they are tightening the budget.

I will have to go to another forum for the next topic. I had recently complained of a threatening coworker a few months ago, This one talked about guns and acted angry intimidating, how he had guns in his vehicle on more than one occasion. He also acted angry towards me one day and made the gun pointing gesture with his hand at me.
He is no longer with the company.:(

las365

The history of capricious firings that you describe actually harms your argument that you were fired because of your MS. It sounds like they fire people all the time.

We have one HR person, she has had affairs with 2 married men at work. She also knows that I know about one of her affairs. I do also find it coincidental that all the people who knew of her affair are either not working there anymore
This is also not an illegal reason to fire someone, but if you end up in a battle for unemployment benefits, this allegation would sure liven up the hearing.

mb94

It seems most likely that they fired you not because of a protected reason, like a medical condition, but because they found someone who would do the job for less money. They may have even had this planned when they brought in the "part time" person to be trained. As someone who has been on the management end of things, our decision making is usually not all that interesting. It isn't about who knows about secret affairs or possible medical conditions. It's about making the numbers work.

michigan girly

Thank You MB94,
for your response. :)

I believe you are right it makes logical sense as to me being fired for monetary reasons.
The car business isn't doing very well lately all over. They always make cuts to double up work especially with managers. Recently, the new car manager was demoted to sales in used cars. He left within a week as he was salary and would now be commision.
Everyone of the salespeople are not doing very well (even the top dogs numbers are low). I was perplexed about what I did wrong as were several of my coworkers, including the girl I trained. She did say to me "You don't do anything wrong so I don't understand."

There is nothing to understand as they were trying to make some cuts for financial reasons. They nitpick to death, and bully to either drive a preson to quit( as was the case with a couple of my coworkers). Thye then try the firing method.

My only complaint now is that they are trying to avoid paying UI. This I do not understand. They make things up to avoid paying that too. I see no justice in the world regarding this as I would only like it until I can find something. This isn't the time of year to be without a job with the holidays and everything else going on.

I am only voicing my opinion, but they claim to be so generous as they give to charities around town. This only gives them a tax write off and free advertising with their name as one of the sponsors. They do try to get the employees to give to United Way as a payroll deduction. I never opted as I give to the charities I wish to give to.:rolleyes:

The owner is a major b.s.er and arrogant as well.

I can't stand the b****** I believe he is just full of b.s.:mad:

Last edited:
G

gbarney04

It sounds like it was a horrible place to work so in the end I think they did you a favor. Learn to type and get a secretarial job. I work as a secretary and make well over $100k with overtime.

pattytx

It sounds like it was a horrible place to work so in the end I think they did you a favor. Learn to type and get a secretarial job. I work as a secretary and make well over $100k with overtime.
Yeah, and you know how many other secretaries will make the same? Count 'em on one hand. :rolleyes:

ecmst12

Administrative assistents can make a very good salary, if they're experienced and good at what they do. I have a friend that makes $80k as a high-level secretary.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">