• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired by Wal-Mart, were they in the right?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cdrolli

What is the name of your state? Kentucky
I had been a salaried member for Wal-Mart for the last 8 years. Last week another salaried member of management caused an associate under my supervision to violate a company policy which would result in that associate being reprimanded. When I found out about the instance I went into the system and fixed it so that the instance never occured. The other manager found out what I did and reported me to the store manger. Later in the week I was terminated for violating a company policy. Since being fired I have found out that another salaried member of management was found guilty of the same offense but instead of being fired he was reprimanded. During my 8 years with the company I have received no less than an exceeds expectations on my yearly evaluations and have no reprimands in my file. My question is did they have the right to fire me and not the other manger?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

cdrolli said:
What is the name of your state? Kentucky
I had been a salaried member for Wal-Mart for the last 8 years. Last week another salaried member of management caused an associate under my supervision to violate a company policy which would result in that associate being reprimanded. When I found out about the instance I went into the system and fixed it so that the instance never occured. The other manager found out what I did and reported me to the store manger. Later in the week I was terminated for violating a company policy. Since being fired I have found out that another salaried member of management was found guilty of the same offense but instead of being fired he was reprimanded. During my 8 years with the company I have received no less than an exceeds expectations on my yearly evaluations and have no reprimands in my file. My question is did they have the right to fire me and not the other manger?

My response:

Yes, and I would have fired you too. What the hell were you thinking?

IAAL

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, they did, unless you have a VALID reason to believe that they fired you and not the other associate BECAUSE OF your race, religion, national origin etc.

Just of the top of my head I can think of several legitimate reasons why they might have chosen to treat the two instances differently.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I'm no big fan of Wal-Mart, and I'm sure that some of their employment practices are questionable, but nothing in this post indicates that the poster has any recourse.

I'm shortly off to look at that post. Back in a bit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">