• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

FIRED... WHAT CAN I DO?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

KBUCK1

I WAS RECENTLY INVOLVED IN THE REMOVAL OF A HOT TUB FROM WORK. THE TUB WAS DAMAGED AND SUPPOSED TO BE DESTROYED. THE ASSISTANT STORE MANAGER TOLD ME IT WAS AGAINST STORE POLICY TO SELL THE TUB AT A DISCOUNT BECAUSE WE HAD GOTTEN FULL CREDIT ON IT. HE DID HOWEVER TELL ME THAT I COULD TAKE IT INSTEAD OF HAVING TO COMPLETELY DESTROY IT. MANAGEMENT ABOVE HIM FOUND OUT IT WAS GONE AND THE MANAGER WHO TOLD ME IT WAS ALRIGHT TO TAKE IT ASKED ME TO BRING IT BACK. I DID. THAT MANAGER ALSO TOLD ME TO TELL THE OTHER MANAGEMENT THAT HE WAS JUST KIDDING WHEN HE SAID I COULD HAVE IT AND IT WAS ALL A MISUNDERSTANDING. HE ALSO TOLD ME THAT TELLING THEM THIS WAS THE ONLY WAY I WOULD KEEP MY JOB. SINCE I NEED MY JOB I WENT ALONG WITH IT AND EVEN SIGNED A STATEMENT TO THE EFFECT OF THIS STORY. SUBSEQUENTLY MYSELF AND THE ASSISTANT MANAGER INVOLVED WERE FIRED. I HAVE TALKED TO SEVERAL PEOPLE WHO ARE OF THE OPINION THAT HAD I TOLD THE TRUTH I WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN FIRED BECAUSE I HAD MANAGEMENT APPROVAL TO TAKE THE ITEM. I HAVE TRIED DOZENS OF TIMES TO CONTACT HUMAN RESOURCES TO TELL THEM MY SIDE OF THE STORY BUT ALL I GET ARE VOICE MAILS AND RECEPTIONIST AND NO CALL BACKS.

IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO?

C

codecontra

I would speak to a labor/ employment attorney for some free advice (links on this page). This is a tough one. You did learn a lesson here--never sign something that is a lie, regardless of what you are told. However, I would think that the statement you signed was done under duress and not binding.

However, your employer would probably never take you back now, even if they knew it was not your fault. They also probably had sufficient reason to fire you. Reason being, you signed a false statement basically lying to the company instead of being honest with them. This is definitely a breach of some type.

My advice would be to move on and not list them on your resume.

Keep in mind I am not an attorney, these are my opinions only, I could be wrong.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">