• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired, when should I receive last paycheck?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

booksrmylife

What is the name of your state?
California.
I was let go a week ago Friday. (2/18)I have not received my last check. The employer is telling me that I have to wait until the regular payday, which falls on March 4th.

When I did payroll many, many years ago, it was my understanding that in CA, terminated employees were to be paid within 72 hours... I have no idea what the law is now.

thank you

JETX

booksrmylife said:
What is the name of your state?
California.
I was let go a week ago Friday. (2/18)I have not received my last check. The employer is telling me that I have to wait until the regular payday, which falls on March 4th.

When I did payroll many, many years ago, it was my understanding that in CA, terminated employees were to be paid within 72 hours... I have no idea what the law is now.

thank you
Your employer is not correct.
An employer that terminates (fires or lays off) an employee must immediately pay the employee all of the employee’s unpaid, earned wages (California Labor Code Section 201). This final payment must include wages earned for days of work up to and including the last day of work, as well as payment for any accrued and unused vacation time. It is unlawful for an employer that terminates an employee to withhold final payment until the end of the pay period.
Source: http://www.las-elc.org/finalpay1.pdf

The 72 hour rule:
An employee who resigns from a job must be paid all unpaid, earned wages within 72 hours (3 days) of the resignation (Cal. Labor Code §202).

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Your employer is playing with fire. On Monday, call the CA DOL wage and hour division; I promise you your employer will hear from them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">