• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fired while on approved vacation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Delores Rose

In California, Sales and office manager. only female in company responsilbe for many duties. Took a pay cut to work for this company worked 70hr weeks. After my first yr, I was granted a 2wk vacation. Uponmy arrival I was p/u at airport by hrly employee who told me about how tense things were. (which is normal when shorthanded). When we got to office, everyone welcomed me with open arms, one owner told me there were going to be a negative meeting on monday with paycuts and people cuts, mostly senior people. I said I was still on vacation I would deal with it on monday. Walking out another partner said we all were taking paycuts, I said 'that sucks' usually after a year people get raises not decreases.. let's do this on monday.. that was it , I was called on Sunday, told that I left a negative feeling with him, and he was letting me go. (I was the highest paid employee) I asked why, he said I left in bad mood. I had just gotten off a 18hr plane ride! Is this legal, can I be fired while still on vacation? I had also signed a contract before I started , so the 'at-will shouldn't apply. or should it? Since no meeting has arose, no cuts have been made. Should I sue them?

joelcannon

If your "contract" is an offer of employment, then unless it specifically states the terms of termination, then you are employed "at will" - and either of you can terminate the relationship for no special reason.

When they fire you, they have to immediately give you a final paycheck that covers everything they owe you (wages earned, vacation and expenses).

(I just lost my job and have been researching how to collect unpaid salary myself...)

good luck,

Joel in CA

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">