• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired while haveing mental illness?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capricious1

What is the name of your state? I now live in Arkansas, but lived in Texas when this happened.

Here is my question. I went to work in 1995 for a company based in Calafornia. I was fired from that company for not returning phone calls and keeping up with account properly because I lied to my boss about attending and event when I was not able to because of my condition. Let me explain. In 1992, I started hearing voices and it was about the time the company I worked for then laid me off. This was expected as the company was sold and everyone was laid off. I suffered with the condition and saw a doctor on a regular basis from 1992 until present. However, my condition was still with me in 1995 when I went to work for 10 months or until summer of 1996 when I was fired. The problems that I was having had lightened up just before I went to work in 1995, but psychosis and the voices increased while working. They did so much so that I was afraid of telling anyone except my doctor all the crazy thoughts and trouble I was having. I was fired in 1996 and eventually tried to get disability, which I did sometime in 1999. The letter from Social Security Disability stated that they did not have enough evidence for disability until 1997, even though I was unable to work in 1995 as I stated when I filed for disability. They based there findings on a new set of doctors information from 1997 and I don't think they used the information from the 1989 doctor which I was seeing in 1992 and up until 1997, when I changed because that doctor said I was beyond his skill level and need to see an expert in the field. I have 4 conditions relating to mental health and in my opinion, they were all present back to 1992 when the major one relating to the voices started.

Here is what I am wondering. I was having so much psychosis and fear and unable to talk about any of this until they stopped in 2004 when I discovered the the voices condition was related to my childhood abuse. I tracked down a missing memory and bingo, they stopped along with the psychosis. I have just always wondered if I would have had a case back then for them firing me. I did tell someone, but not my boss that I had a a mentally ill condition, but no one else ever knew. I wanted to tell them when I was fired, but the voices kept me locked away in fear so much that I was unalbe to do anything except that I was fired and move forward. I am right. Correct. There was nothing I could have done back then because I never told my boss, just lied to him about attending and event and when he discovered that I lied, he fired me.

One last question relating to all of this. In 1999, I received disability. I now receive a check for both me and my daughter which was 3 years old back in 1999, but did not let my wife file on me because she planned on working. She now works, but would like to quit working. Can she still file on me and can we get extra money. I currently receive about $2,100.00 total each month. $1,350 is mine, and $750 is my daughters or somewhere there abouts. Can my wife quit her job and file one me and receive a check like me and my daughter do each month? Also, is there a limit to what one family can receive? I think i read that somewhere. I had a good paying job when I worked in my life, if you need to know that info. Also, if I am still on disability, which I may still be when my daughter turns 18 and all payments to her stop, can my wife file on me then? She can not be working in a full time job and file on me, can she? I thought about making her a caregiver or stating her as that if need be either now or in 9 years when my daughter turns 18 and stops receiving a check. Can I do that? My daughters check does stop at 18 regardless of weather or not she is still living with us and going to college. Right?

Advise please.

outonbail

Here's what you need to do:

Get off the disability and return to a good paying job. The voices in your head, that's normal. I myself have had the same symptoms since birth, so I know what your going through.
Doctors don't want to disclose the reason for hearing voices in your head for one simple reason, "Treatment pays better than cure"!

So, I will disclose the actual reason for you hearing voices in your head and you can put your fear to rest once and for all. You see, like myself and nearly every other human on this planet, who remains above ground, hearing voices in your head is quite normal. Why?
Because that's where your ears are!

Pretty simple huh?

(Now I'm probably going to receive hate mail from every doctor who's paycheck will now shrink because of having disclosed this information)

HomeGuru

outonbail said:
Here's what you need to do:

Get off the disability and return to a good paying job. The voices in your head, that's normal. I myself have had the same symptoms since birth, so I know what your going through.
Doctors don't want to disclose the reason for hearing voices in your head for one simple reason, "Treatment pays better than cure"!

So, I will disclose the actual reason for you hearing voices in your head and you can put your fear to rest once and for all. You see, like myself and nearly every other human on this planet, who remains above ground, hearing voices in your head is quite normal. Why?
Because that's where your ears are!

Pretty simple huh?

**A: wow, a freaking cool diagnosis. You should be on WebMD.

pattytx

outonbail, I'm surprised you're not still in. That was one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. There IS such a thing as mental illness, and you saying there isn't is just asinine. :mad:

HomeGuru

pattytx said:
outonbail, I'm surprised you're not still in. That was one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. There IS such a thing as mental illness, and you saying there isn't is just asinine. :mad:

**A: his thread did not mention that there is no such thing as mental illness. Are you sure you read it here or did you hear voices telling you so?

outonbail

pattytx: outonbail, I'm surprised you're not still in. That was one of the stupidest things I've ever heard.
Sorry, I should have been more specific.

If the voices you hear come from your dog, cat, goldfish or any small hoofed barnyard animal, you probably do have a mental health issue.

In such a case, you should continue with the treatment......

Thanks for the heads up Patty!

HomeGuru

outonbail said:
Sorry, I should have been more specific.

If the voices you hear come from your dog, cat, goldfish or any small hoofed barnyard animal, you probably do have a mental health issue.

In such a case, you should continue with the treatment......

Thanks for the heads up Patty!

**A: I have a talking dog that goes in for treatment weekly.

rmet4nzkx

Having a disability does not prevent an employer for terminating your employment for cause, you have no cause of action for a wrongful termination lawsuit or civil rights/eeoc complaint.

It sounds like you are trying to get more money out of the system and trying to get someone here to advise you how to do that, we cannot aid and abet you.

You cannot get paid twice for the child.

Your wife cannot file on your claim unless she is over 62.

If your wife is disabled herself, she would file her own claim.

You are now claiming to be cured from the voices because you discovered that their cause was some long forgotten memeory of abuse, if this is the case, and you are in fact cured and your doctor says you are cured of your psychosis, you need to contact Social Security Disability so your case can be reviewed and prepare to reenter the workforce. Social Security and your state department of rehabilitation can assist you in this process and there are programs that can allow some liited return to work to replace lost income.

The statute of limitations has long since expired for any legal action you may have considered.

Your language use is clearly that of a person with an active thought disorder/psychosis, even though you may believe yourself cured or you may require futher medication adjustments.

The fact that you have a history of psychosis greatly increases the risk that your child will have some level of mental illness as well so having your child evaluated by a child and adolescent psychiatrist before their 18th birthday would be a good idea should they discover similar problems as they attempt to enter society, this is the time of first psychiotic breaks but their may be clues before hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">