• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired while on medical leave

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Arela

What is the name of your state? Arizona.
I was "let go" yesterday while at home on medical leave. Is this legal? We are located in a tiny country town with only a couple of places to work.
My bosses reason was that other employees told them that I was talking bad about one of the owners. I was not there to defend myself. I have two babies and am the only one working.Is there anything I can do to get my job back, or get compensation?

Beth3

Contrary to what many individuals think, there is no law that prohibits an employer from terminating someone who is on medical leave, provided the termination would have taken place regardless of the employee's medical and/or leave status. So if they would have term'd you because they believed you to be denigrating one of the owners even if you had been actively at work, it was legal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">