• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fired while short-term disabled; need fmla

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

azpebbles

I (used to) work from my home office in AZ for an out-of-state company. I was recently fired (supposedly "at will")shortly after completing the paperwork for short-term disability (which indicated I can tentatively return to work in August) and within 18 days of my unpaid leave of absence. My company tells me that I do not qualify for FMLA, therefore, I will be responsible for paying COBRA to maintain my medical insurance and theat they cannot hold my job for me for the 12 weeks FMLA provides.

My questions are these:

1. Do overtime hours count in the 1250 hours worked in the preceding 12 month rule?

2. Am I truly eligible for FMLA given my situation. I began working for the company initially in December 1999. I left in December 2000. I came back in April 2001 and became short-term disabled in early June. My company has a policy which states "if a former employee is re-hired within one year of the separation date, prior service credit will be re-instated for purposes of calculating leave benefits." So, do the 12 months mean the preceding 12 months, regardless of continuous employment with the same employer or do I qualify based on the fact that I have been reinstated (did not have to repeat training, am eligible for bonus without waiting regular term, etc.)?

3. Can I sue the company for disability discrimination since they chose to fire me "at will" coincidentally while I was short-term disabled? One of my managers made this threat to me on the phone a couple of weeks prior to it happening. She also indicated that the company does not have to accommodate me with job tasks I can perform, if they don't want to.

4. Can I file a Workers' Compensation claim even though I cannot pinpoint an exact date/time when my injury/illness occurred, based on my or my doctor's belief that my job duties may have resulted in or exacerbated my illness?

5. Should I take these matters up first and foremost with my CEO as a grievance or seek legal representation or both? Can I withdraw my complaints should my company agree to comply with the FMLA of 1993 and hold my job for 12 weeks (or less, if I can return to work before that time)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">