• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired while taking FMLA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Randy M

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Oklahoma

I was fired about a week ago by my employer which is a major bank in Oklahoma and Ark. My termination was said to be because of task completion issues. At the time of my firing I had FMLA papers on file at my job. These papers were signed by my doctor and myself and were on file for about 2-3 wks. I have had severe headaches and tingling in the side of my neck and head. I have had to take off some work because of this. I am also currently in physical therapy for my condition. I WAS a seven year employee with NO written warnings or reprimands in my file. I work in risk mgmt and I am responsible for looking at about 500 cks a day. I always got my job done unless our computer system was down. I did miss a couple of cks that DID NOT cost the bank any loss recently. However, when they terminated me they said the checks weren't the issue but task completion was the reason for my termination.

My question is, can they terminate me while I have FMLA papers on file and am currently taking FMLA leave. I was totally stunned by my firing and think they didn't want me taking FMLA leave or were afraid I was going to file Workmans Comp so they came up with a reason for firing me.

Beth3

My question is, can they terminate me while I have FMLA papers on file and am currently taking FMLA leave. Yes. Being on FMLA doesn't protect someone from being fired for unrelated reasons. You can't be fired BECAUSE you are taking FMLA but you can be fired in spite of it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">