• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired without proof af wrong doing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jeff-kim1

What is the name of your state? Illinois

Until January 12, 2004 I was working at Wal-Mart in the Tire and Lube Express. I had had no real problems other than a written coaching for leaving an oil cap off of a vehicle. On Jan 12th, I was called to the office and told that I was getting terminated for misconduct. The TLE manager told me that I had left off another oil cap and that the customer had driven 20 miles and the vehile caught fire. Then the customer put 2 quarts of oil in the engine, and drove 40 more miles home(without further problems). The manager said they had reviewed the security video and were pretty sure that I left the cap off, but would inspect the vehicle when it came in later that day. This vehicle still to today (3-9-04)has not came in and been inspected, nor has the owner ever filed a claim to get his vehicle fixed. If the oil cap off made the vehicle lose 2 quarts in 20 miles, there is no way the guy could have went 40 more without the engine losing at least 2 more quarts. My mother works at the same store in a different area and was talking to the Store Manager about it and the manager went so far as to say that she thought there was no reason that I should hve been fired, she thought I should have been suspended until the vehicle came in to be verified. Shouldn't they have suspended me until the vehicle came in to get looked at, can they really just take someones word over the phone and fire me without never seeing real proof that I made a mistake? I would appreciate any help anyone can give me on this.

Last edited:

divgradcurl

Unless you are covered by a union contract (not at Walmart!), your employment is at will, and you can be fired for any reason or no reason.

Beth3

"Shouldn't they have suspended me until the vehicle came in to get looked at" There's no "have" that an employer has to comply with in a situation such as you describe. Suspending you pending an investigation would have been more fair but they were not compelled to.

"can they really just take someones word over the phone and fire me without never seeing real proof that I made a mistake?" Yes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">