• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fired for workplace dating?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NickSartoris

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
California
i recently started dating a co-worker and she is very worried that if the boss finds out I will be fired. i have worked there for over four years and have a stellar work record. there is no policy about employee relationships at our job. F.Y.I. the boss that would do the firing is new and we were dating before he was brought on. dont know if that makes a difference or not. what can i do to protect myself? if i am fired, do i have grounds for a law suit?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
California
i recently started dating a co-worker and she is very worried that if the boss finds out I will be fired. i have worked there for over four years and have a stellar work record. there is no policy about employee relationships at our job. F.Y.I. the boss that would do the firing is new and we were dating before he was brought on. dont know if that makes a difference or not. what can i do to protect myself? if i am fired, do i have grounds for a law suit?
You can be fired for dating. You don't have grounds for a lawsuit (nor will you)

HomeGuru

California
**A: you can also be fired for not dating a co-worker or for anything else.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Here's the deal.

IF you are fired for dating a co-worker, it is most likely legal. IF she is also fired for dating you, that is also most likely legal.

There does not have to be a written policy; nor does it matter whether you were dating before, after, or during the tenure of the current manager.

Barring a legally binding contract or CBA that expressly says otherwise, the only reason I can think of of the top of my head while firing either of you would be illegal would be if there is a valid and supportable reason to believe that the one who was fired, was chosen over the other one because of their gender. Of course, firing both of you would take care of that problem.

swalsh411

This would probably not be considered misconduct for unemployment purposes if you were fired, assuming you kept your relationship out of the workplace.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">