• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired and it was wrong do I have a case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

elektra813

What is the name of your state? Texas

What is the name of your state? Texas

I know Texas is an at will state but I was terminated for something that was not my fault. I was a collection supervisor for a credit union. I was responsible for all reports etc. A policy change took effect in July 03 on how charge offs where to be done, (my job to charge off accounts), the board approved the revision and my boss revised it in the policy but failed to notify me of the change. In January she asked me to redo the policy/procedures for collections to make them more understandable and in doing so I discovered the change. I immediately called her and told her that I was not aware of the change since she did not inform me and that if we wanted to be in compliance with the change I would have to make corrections she said to do it and she would let the board know why the charge offs where high. Upon completion of the report I had to submit it to her and accounting. Accounting was upset and took it to the Sr VP who called me and was very upset. I told her what happened and that i was not informed of the change and it needed to be corrected. She said that I was not consistant I told her I was and that is why this correction needed to be made she said it looked like I did this on purpose so that i could increase profit sharing, ( I wouldn't even know how to do this) I told her there is no way I would do something like that. She said we would have to do something maybe divided it up over 4 to 6 months so the board would not find out. Oh and she called be back after she said to divide it up and told me that it looked like I did it for profit share. My boss was not in so we said we would discuss it the next day when she came in. I called my boss early the next morning and told her we have to meet to discuss this because I was being accused of something that I did not do. I met her at 8:eek:o and we reviewed what happene. she got with the sr vp and they decided to divide it up over 4 to 6 months which I did not agree with. I was told that I would be written up which I said ok I have never been written up in the 4 yrs I had been there, 18 months as the collection supervisor. I went to the HR director and told her that I did not feel it was right to hide it from the board and then write me up, that if they write me up they should tell the board. This was a Friday. Come Monday morning I had a email that they were going to do the whole charge off and to redo the report, ( They had changed it to divide up over 4 to 6 months. I redid it back to the way I had it to begin with. I went in Tuesday morning, they called me to HR and I figured I was being written up, Boy was I shocked when I found out they terminated me. My boss and the HR director were both upset because they did not want this to happen they felt it was to harsh, but since I was the supervisor and I am partially responcsable for procedure I was to blame. How could I have know since I was not given a copy of the change, notified by email or told personally. I had a policy book dated 1/02 that I was going by. I did not know my boss had made the change till I pulled it up on the computer share drive. I feel this was wrong, and to be accused of doing it to benefit the profit share. I cannot seem to move on. Do I have a case?

JETX

"I was terminated for something that was not my fault."
*** Doesn't matter. An employer can terminate for a reason, no reason or even an incorrect one.

"Do I have a case?'
*** From your post, it does appear that you have a 'case' for poor management. However, there are no statutes prohibiting poor management or even 'fair'. Simply, you have no legal claim.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">