• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired for wrong reasons

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

majep5

What is the name of your state? TX

What rights do I have if I was fired for being on a final written warning, Yet other employees of same company have 2 or 3 more write-ups than I do and are still here. Feel that the company has favoritism and doesnt do what it "the right thing t do" Every write-up I have was already decided on before they talked to me. I feel I should get a say so on what I am accused of. If a person complains that I was unfair. Should HR want to hear what my side of the story is?

HomeGuru

majep5 said:
What is the name of your state? TX

What rights do I have if I was fired for being on a final written warning, Yet other employees of same company have 2 or 3 more write-ups than I do and are still here. Feel that the company has favoritism and doesnt do what it "the right thing t do" Every write-up I have was already decided on before they talked to me. I feel I should get a say so on what I am accused of. If a person complains that I was unfair. Should HR want to hear what my side of the story is?
**A: you're an at will employee correct? Then your employer is within the law to fire you for no written warning at all.

Beth3

"I feel I should get a say so on what I am accused of" Sorry, that's not the case. While it's good practice for an employer to investigate, including talking to the employee suspected of misconduct, before taking disciplinary action, no law requires them to do that. And as HomeGuru points out, they don't have to have any disciplinary procedure at all.

Kat2Wolf

rights

Unfortunately, you have no rights unless you have been fired due to discrimination or breach of contract. Other than that, employers can do and get away with anything they want.

HomeGuru

Re: rights

Kat2Wolf said:
Unfortunately, you have no rights unless you have been fired due to discrimination or breach of contract. Other than that, employers can do and get away with anything they want.
**A: yes, basically that's what Beth3 and I have already stated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">