• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired wrongfully

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zephyr

What is the name of your state? WI

This question is for a friend- really

Friend is/was 3rd shift production supervisor at a plant, this morning he was fired.

Not sure how much history is needed, recently employee surveys were done regarding the supervisors, friend had highest mark out of any supervisor.

He was told his reason for being fired was that "he didn't really "get" the employees" and that a few weeks ago the 1st shift supervisor had to be called at home because 3rd shift supervisor was nowhere to be found. Friend remembers clearly the 1st shift supervisor telling him specifically that he had been called 5 times in one night by employees on second shift. Clearly the plant supervisor was a little confused- or as my friend is beginning to suspect, there may have been some sabotage going on from the first shift supervisor.

There is some other stuff, but I don't want to go on and on.....

My friend was so stunned when he was told this this morning because he had just been told the day before what a great job he was doing that he did not say anything in his own defense or try to figure out where the discrepencies had ocurred...

Questions:

1. When you are not a protected class, in an at will employment situation, what is wrongful termination?

2. Because the reason he was fired is actually the actions of the 2nd shift supervisor, or misreporting by the first shift supervisor, would he be entitled to get his job back?

3. In what way should he approach the plant supervisor and/or HR to point out these discrepencies?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
1.) Everyone is in at least three protected class. Everyone has a race, a national origin and a gender. ALL races, ALL national origins, and BOTH genders are protected, not just so-called "minorities". But the answer to your question is, no matter who you are, a wrongful termination means that you were terminated for a reason that specifically violates the law. What you describe does not meet the definition of a wrongful termination. A wrongful term does NOT mean that he was fired for something he didn't do.

2.) Not under the law. He is free to try, but based on the facts in your post the law is not going to force the employer to hire him back; it will be up to the employer.

3.) We can't possibly know what kind of approach would be listened to.

Zephyr

thank you for your answer cbg...that's what I kind of thought, but I told him I would ask those in the know

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">