• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

firing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jenh

undefinedWhat is the name of your state?wisconsin
About 2 weeks ago I was fired from my part time job as a bartender due to the fact the tills were short the last 3 times that I have worked but they said they don't know if it was me or the other girl also the owner of the bar came up to me and said she heard from a few people that I steal or I did steal from them,she said a name of one person and she owns a local cafe in town but I have never worked for her or any one else that are going around saying that I steal.I was wondering what I can do since now I can't seem to get another part time job because people don't want to hire me since they have heard that I steal

Beth3

Firing you because the till was short was not unlawful, even if you had nothing to do with that. If someone is telling others you are a thief and you can't find employment as a result, then you may have a civil claim for slander. You'll need to discuss that with a local attorney.

turbowray

jenh said:
undefinedWhat is the name of your state?wisconsin
About 2 weeks ago I was fired from my part time job as a bartender due to the fact the tills were short the last 3 times that I have worked but they said they don't know if it was me or the other girl also the owner of the bar came up to me and said she heard from a few people that I steal or I did steal from them,she said a name of one person and she owns a local cafe in town but I have never worked for her or any one else that are going around saying that I steal.I was wondering what I can do since now I can't seem to get another part time job because people don't want to hire me since they have heard that I steal
HI there i am sorry about your problems...i am aware that in oregon that a manager is only able to say yes i would hire her or no i would not when asked...they are not able to say why they fired you because of liability suits...this is in oregon i dont know about your state...since there was no proof and others in your register you may be able to file a slander suite which is a suite that prooves that you are financially suffering because of a lie that keeps you from working for anyone....check it out with an attorney...do you have proof that anyone else was in your till..file for unemployment and your old boss will say no and then you can request a hearing to fight the decision and then your boss will have the burden of proof that he fired you because of theft and if he cant prove it and it is only heresay then you may get the unemployment and something on record saying that he is accusing you of theft without proof....he is accusing you of a felony and you do have the right to defend your reputation!!! You may also want to request written reasons why you were fired and your boss may or may not say it on paper?? Good luck!!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I am aware that in oregon that a manager is only able to say yes i would hire her or no i would not when asked...they are not able to say why they fired you because of liability suits...this is in oregon i dont know about your state...

That is not true in Oregon either. Although many people in many states mistakenly believe this to be law, NO law in ANY state puts this kind of restriction on the employer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">