• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

firing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ohioguy44

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

The company I am with is having layoffs for sales reps thursday 28th, I have been called by management today the 26th to meet with upper management on the 27th. They are going to fire me on the 27th so they do not have to pay a 6 month severance package. Is this legal?

mlane58

The company I am with is having layoffs for sales reps thursday 28th, I have been called by management today the 26th to meet with upper management on the 27th. They are going to fire me on the 27th so they do not have to pay a 6 month severance package. Is this legal?
Yes it is. Unless you have a bona fide contract or are part of a collective bargaining agreement, there isn't a law that compels the employer to offer a severance package.

HomeGuru

**A: yes it is perfectly legal to meet with you on the 27th.

Ohioguy44

This company let 50% of management go on the 15th and they are laying off the entire district that I am with on the 18th with a severance package. So they can legally fire me one day before everyone else gets laid off?

On the last post I put the wrong dates, these dates are correct.

mlane58

This company let 50% of management go on the 15th and they are laying off the entire district that I am with on the 18th with a severance package. So they can legally fire me one day before everyone else gets laid off?

On the last post I put the wrong dates, these dates are correct.
The answer is still Yes.

ecmst12

They do not have to offer you a severence package only because they offered it to others, unless you have a reason to believe that the decision was based on your race, gender, or other protected characteristic.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Do you have a binding policy, contract or agreement that you will get a 6 month severance package? if so, under what conditions?

CGRAY

If you have a contract or employment agreement stipulating severance takes effect on that day, call out sick on the day you are suppose to meet and get laid off/terminated on the next day. Then you'll have your 6 months in.

eerelations

If you have a contract or employment agreement stipulating severance takes effect on that day, call out sick on the day you are suppose to meet and get laid off/terminated on the next day. Then you'll have your 6 months in.
This is ridiculous advice. All the employer has to do is fire the OP by phone (or email or carrier pigeon or whatever) on the sick day or wait 'til he returns and say "While we're laying off a bunch of people and giving them severance pay, we're not laying you off, we're firing you, and so therefore you won't be getting any severance pay."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">