• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

firing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

missdebi

i am an employer in florida. i have an employee who does
her job and is reliable, but she is constantly complaining
to other employees and customers about her shift hours and
the amount of work she does. i am constantly getting
complaints about her. now she has gotten to the point
that she drinks in another bar and then comes in and
harrasses the bartender on duty. is florida an at will
state? if it is can harrassing my other employees and
irritating my customers be just cause for ternination.

L

lawrat

"Under Florida law, employment contracts that do not specify a definite term of employment are terminable “at will.” An employee may quit at any time for any reason. Importantly, the employer also may terminate the employee at any time for any reason, as long as it is not an illegal reason (such as race or gender discrimination). The power to discharge an at-will employee is limited by public policy and the employer’s responsibility to act in good faith and to deal fairly. Recently, some plaintiffs have challenged Florida’s at-will policy, arguing that the employer’s personnel handbook laid out a termination procedure requiring good reason or cause. The courts, however, largely have resisted these arguments and continue to view most employment contracts without a definite term of employment as terminable by either party at their discretion."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">