• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Firing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lisainlove

State: Florida (Boca Raton)

August 1, 2001 I was hired as an administrative assistant from an out of home offce. In this time I looked after their dogs and housesat while both the husband and wife away on a 10 day business trip.

In our initial discussion we decided to review in 90 days our position if we have a workable arrangment to continue. He, the employer was under the impression that any time in that 90 days we could walk away politely.

Today August 27th(Tuesday) it was decided that we are not pleased and to him that meant I leave his home property with any payment for the 15-27 nor for payment of the 10day house-sit.

He has called me this afternoon and have asked for a time out for today - which I do not know what that means for tomorrow - Is this appropriate?

Is this appropriate?
Is there unemployement insurance that would be appropriate?

Thanks so much,
Lisa Herzog

Last edited:

L

loku

I also do not know what “time our for today” means, but I do know that he owes you wages for the work you did for him, certainly for the work you did as an administrative assistant, and possibly for the house sitting, depending on what the agreement was beforehand.

The first step in getting the wages would be to put in a complaint with the:
Florida Department of Labor and Employment Security
Informatino Desk
Lobby, Hartman Building
2012 Capital Circle, S.E.
Tallahassee, FL 32399-2189
Tel: (904) 488-4398
If they can not help you, you would have a good case in Small Claims court for the wages.

As for terminating your employment, that is the right of an employer unless you had a contract that provided otherwise, and an agreement to review the arrangement for 90 days is not an agreement to continue the arrangement for 90 days.

Also, a home office job like this is not covered by unemployment insurance; however, if you have recently worked, you may be covered so it is worth putting in an application or at least talking to the people at the unemployment insurance office if you have worked recently.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">