• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

firing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bigbober

I am from illinois can an emplyer terminate you and not give you a reason why? Also can he or she do this without any type of previous discpelinary actions even if in your policy book you have a section under disceplinary actions to take place as follows. First time a verbal warning 2nd time is a written verbal and third is a written 4th is days off and 5th is termination. Please help I am very confused.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
An employer is not required to give you a reason for termination except in a small handful of states. Illinois is not one of those states. (Even in the states that do require it, it is only required upon the written request of the terminated employee.) As far as the rest of your question goes, it depends upon the exact wording of the policy. Most such policies or handbooks include language to the effect that the company reserves the right to modify the policy at any time, and that they can skip one or more steps in the disciplinary process when the situation calls for it. It your policy or handbook does not contain such a disclaimer, they may - repeat, may - be required to follow the policy step by step.

It might be worth your while to have an attorney review the handbook or policy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">