• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Firing because of background check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

angbabe

What is the name of your state?PENNSYLVANIA

Can an employer fire you for a background check? After 8 weeks of working for my new employer they pulled me into the office and said something came back in my background check that didn't meet their guidelines. When I asked them what it was, they refused to tell me and said that they don't have to tell me what it was. Is that legal. They said it was their policy not to tell what came back. I read through every paper I was given upon being hired and no where at all does it state that policy. Do I have any recourse that I can take? I was fired and I don't even know why.

THANK YOU.

Beth3

If the employer used an outside agency to conduct your background check, then you are entitled to know exactly why you were terminated (ref - Fair Credit Reporting Act.) If the employer conducted it themselves however, then they don't have to tell you anything beyond what they've informed you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">