• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Firing an out of state independent sales rep

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Laurajohn

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Washington
We are a corporation registered in Washington State. We hire independent sales reps to sell our products to retail stores our reps are paid on commission only and receive 1099 forms for their tax purposes. The only agreement in writing between us is their territory limits and commission amount. I have a rep from Minnesota who we let go in Feb 2004 do to poor sales results. We have paid him all the commission due him in a timely manner and owe him no outstanding commissions as of now. This rep has recently written to me and cited the Minnesota Regulations and Trade Practices Law 325E.37. He claims based on this we did not have the right to fire him and wants damages paid or he is threatening a law suit. What are my rights and obligations as the employer in this case?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Was he under any kind of contract, and if so, what did it say about termination?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">