• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Firing Policy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Carmender

What is the name of your state? California
I work for an independent auto shop in a small community. An employee who left two months ago told me that if our boss learned anyone was looking for another job he would fire them. This employee gave two weeks notice but the boss pulled most of his job tickets and he hauled his toolbox on Thursday evening after giving notice that Monday. I want to leave but have to make inquiries and distribute my resume. Small town situation. If he finds out can he do this legally ?

pattytx

Yes. At-will employment means that not only can the employee quit at any time with no notice, but the employer may fire anyone at any time, as long as it is not for an illegal reason. What has happened may be unfortunate, but it is not illegal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">