• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

firing reasons

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shannon25

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I work at a medical office with approx. 30 employees. There are 4 doctors and an office manager/administrator. Owners include 3 of the doctors and the administrator whose husband began the practice years ago (he died in 1996). She is now about 70 years old and with the expansion of the practice she needed help so a woman was hired about a year about and also given the title of office manager. (I was told she got this title simply so the employees would listen to her.) The woman had no previous office manager experience nor had educational background for business/management. She had previous experience working in a medical office - assisting a doctor, billing, worker's comp, etc. but not managing. She was also pretty computer illiterate when she came. I have had to explain numerous things from changing font color in Word, setting up and checking her Hotmail, to changing her screen saver among many, many other things. She came in with very poor people skills and the mentality that she was not here to make friends including a Hitler style of management not letting anyone take a breath without telling them to find something to do or they will be written up, etc. She is rude and condescending and has lied and manipulated even taking the 4th doctor's words and twisting them around to make her look good to the administrator which was not at all his intent. He does not even want to speak to her anymore…doesn’t trust her and wants her gone. Nobody trusts her and most of the employees hate her. Even the administrator hates her and has stated this to myself and other employees. At least 5 good employees have left simply because they could not stand to work with/for her any longer. She seems to pick a person she is "out to get" and won't let up on them until they quit. After another very important employee threatened to quit, we were told she would be fired. One of the doctors even made a survey and gave them to employees asking for suggestions that would make the office better in hopes they would give them cause to fire her. 12 employees stated the "office manager" was a major problem and she should be fired. They obviously want to fire her but are afraid of legal action. This woman came in with a notepad and pen attached to her...she is all about documentation and is constantly taking notes. I'm sure she has a file on every employee with notes (probably only part true) about them and probably has a file on the administrator and each doctor just in case. Especially considering her lying and manipulating ways, I know that she will fight it if they fire her and the administrator has told me of her concerns. My question is, would the fact that good employees have quit stating her as the reason and more have threatened be a good enough reason to fire her without possible legal ramifications? If not, what suggestions do you have for the situation? Thanks in advance!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

shannon25 said:
What is the name of your state? Ohio

I work at a medical office with approx. 30 employees. There are 4 doctors and an office manager/administrator. Owners include 3 of the doctors and the administrator whose husband began the practice years ago (he died in 1996). She is now about 70 years old and with the expansion of the practice she needed help so a woman was hired about a year about and also given the title of office manager. (I was told she got this title simply so the employees would listen to her.) The woman had no previous office manager experience nor had educational background for business/management. She had previous experience working in a medical office - assisting a doctor, billing, worker's comp, etc. but not managing. She was also pretty computer illiterate when she came. I have had to explain numerous things from changing font color in Word, setting up and checking her Hotmail, to changing her screen saver among many, many other things. She came in with very poor people skills and the mentality that she was not here to make friends including a Hitler style of management not letting anyone take a breath without telling them to find something to do or they will be written up, etc. She is rude and condescending and has lied and manipulated even taking the 4th doctor's words and twisting them around to make her look good to the administrator which was not at all his intent. He does not even want to speak to her anymore…doesn’t trust her and wants her gone. Nobody trusts her and most of the employees hate her. Even the administrator hates her and has stated this to myself and other employees. At least 5 good employees have left simply because they could not stand to work with/for her any longer. She seems to pick a person she is "out to get" and won't let up on them until they quit. After another very important employee threatened to quit, we were told she would be fired. One of the doctors even made a survey and gave them to employees asking for suggestions that would make the office better in hopes they would give them cause to fire her. 12 employees stated the "office manager" was a major problem and she should be fired. They obviously want to fire her but are afraid of legal action. This woman came in with a notepad and pen attached to her...she is all about documentation and is constantly taking notes. I'm sure she has a file on every employee with notes (probably only part true) about them and probably has a file on the administrator and each doctor just in case. Especially considering her lying and manipulating ways, I know that she will fight it if they fire her and the administrator has told me of her concerns. My question is, would the fact that good employees have quit stating her as the reason and more have threatened be a good enough reason to fire her without possible legal ramifications? If not, what suggestions do you have for the situation? Thanks in advance!

My response:

Geez, lady! You're complaining about "her" when you can't even use paragraphs?

I read the first 10 or so lines, and gave up. Too tedious.

IAAL

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I also had trouble getting through your post; white space is your friend.

I will, however, attempt to answer what I believe is your question.

Yes, your employer could legally fire her for the reasons I think you are trying to get at. However, he is not legally required to do so and his failure to do so does not give the other employees any legal recourse.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">