• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Firing someone with a contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Socrates25

What is the name of your state? GA

I have a 3 year contract with an institution and the contract will end in Sept 2005. My yearly salary is documented in the contract. In November I was asked about and reported sexual harrassment and discrimination in my workplace. Three weeks later I received a poor evaluation (the year before my evaluation was glowing), and no cost of living raise. Two weeks later they called me in to say that "things weren't working out" and that I could have 30 days, resign or be terminated. I have taken the 30 days, but it is clear that they want me gone. The contract seems to be preventing them from terminating me, and I believe that they are willing to negotiate a severance package. I don't want to be taken advantage of. What would be reasonable to ask for in a negotiation?

Socrates25

Firing Someone with a Contract

It should be $72,000 in salary, 30 days of vacation, 1 consulting day/week, 12 sick days per year, and a 401K with a match of 4%, medical and dental.

M

Missie

Socrates25 said:
What is the name of your state? GA

I have a 3 year contract with an institution and the contract will end in Sept 2005. My yearly salary is documented in the contract. In November I was asked about and reported sexual harrassment and discrimination in my workplace. Three weeks later I received a poor evaluation (the year before my evaluation was glowing), and no cost of living raise. Two weeks later they called me in to say that "things weren't working out" and that I could have 30 days, resign or be terminated. I have taken the 30 days, but it is clear that they want me gone. The contract seems to be preventing them from terminating me, and I believe that they are willing to negotiate a severance package. I don't want to be taken advantage of. What would be reasonable to ask for in a negotiation?
Similar things have just happened to me and I have filed a law suit for breach of contract and the employeer is already talking settlement. Call an attorney (employment law attorney) and get a free consultation. You will be better off then listening to the advice on here. All I got was insults and told how my attorney is an idiot. But hes an idiot thats about to collect me four hundred thousand dollars. Take my advice and seek an attorney instead.

M

Missie

Missie said:
Similar things have just happened to me and I have filed a law suit for breach of contract and the employeer is already talking settlement. Call an attorney (employment law attorney) and get a free consultation. You will be better off then listening to the advice on here. All I got was insults and told how my attorney is an idiot. But hes an idiot thats about to collect me four hundred thousand dollars. Take my advice and seek an attorney instead.

Also watch out for belize breeze he thinks hes a god and he will only end up implying that you are stupid or have no case. If you have it in writing it is a contract. Especially if there are dates for the time that your guarented the job.

BelizeBreeze

Socrates25 said:
It should be $72,000 in salary, 30 days of vacation, 1 consulting day/week, 12 sick days per year, and a 401K with a match of 4%, medical and dental.
Aside from the obvious troll answer to your post, here is what I would advise.

See an employment law attorney in your area. Take a copy of your contract AND inform him/her of the report of sexual harrassment you filed. He/she will need to obtain that report, along with your work record.

Next, inform this attorney that you would be willing to settle for a payout of your contract INCLUDING attorney fees, a waiver of all future litigation and a continuation of your health benefits until the natural end of the contract OR you are again employed.

Then sit back and let the attorney handle this matter.

ENASNI

Ahem

And if Missie had a true "contract" like you did... she would have gotten the same great advice.

Not 400,000 of monopoly money to play with. :rolleyes:

Missie go bye-bye? ohhhh what a shame. :p

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">