• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Firing, UE Ruling

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

John10636

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA

I was fired from a firm to what comes down to politics and trumped up charges. The UE office could see this, and ruled in my favor. Since the UE office ruled in my favor is the reason for the firing reclassified??? The employer had written fired due to misconduct (the misconduct was on their part!) I would like to know so I can better explain to prospective future employers.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, the fact that the DUA ruled in your favor does not require the employer to re-categorize your termination; nor does it mean that the employer was "wrong" to terminate you (i.e., no wrongful termination). The DUA determination means one thing and one thing only; the employer did not prove that your termination was for a reason that disqualifies you for benefits. It IS possible, at least in MA (and I'm sure in other states as well) to be termed for misconduct that really is misconduct, but still get benefits if you were not warned ahead of time that the action in question could lead to termination. I am NOT saying that this is what happened in your case - just giving a generic example of why receiving UI benefits does not force the employer to change the reason for termination in their records.

However, prospective employers are not going to know whether or not you received UI or what the reason for granting you benefits will be unless you tell them - it is not public information. So you're going to need to find a way to explain what happened that does not rely on the DUA determination.

It's up to you if you want to give more detail or not, but IF you are comfortable with telling us what happened, we may be able to help you put together an explanation for prospective employers.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">