• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fishy termination...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

greenindex

What is the name of your state? il
I was terminated for "theft" at my job- I didn't actually commit the theft but that's not really related to my question- now the company is asking me to sign a resignation AND if i'll pay back the missing money- I'm confused about this- they're saying if I don't sign a resignation it will effect my chance for future employment- but why should a sign a resignation for these people if I'm being terminated for theft- and why would they ask me to pay back the money- can they do this? - i'm being accused of theft of a safe that 3 other co-workers had the combination to...please help!

Beth3

I can only assume the company is (stupidly) wanting to portray your termination as a resignation in the hopes that they'll avoid paying UC benefits for you. Whether you'll be eligible if the company contests your claim depends largely upon how reasonable the company's actions were in light of any reasonable proof they have that you were the guilty party.

What you want to do about this is up to you. Frankly, it doesn't make a whole lot of difference one way or the other. If you do "resign" and you're interviewing for a new job and the employer asks "why did you resign your last job?" you're still going to need to explain the circumstances. As far as I can see, "resigning" doesn't get you a thing.

As to repaying the money, don't do it. I surely wouldn't repay money that I didn't take. It sounds like your former employer has an extremely weak basis to have terminated your employment (although that's not illegal), partly evidenced by the fact that they haven't involved the police.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">