• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Flexible Time Off

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shawnusa

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Mass

I have a friend just get Laid Off. The company paid the vacation that not used, but not for the 1 week of the Flexible Time Off. Is that the law the company does not need to pay off the Flexible Time Off ?

Thanks.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There are no MA laws regarding anything called Flexible Time Off. That is a name that the employer made up. What is this time to be used for?

shawnusa

There are no MA laws regarding anything called Flexible Time Off. That is a name that the employer made up. What is this time to be used for?
You may right, it is FTO, may be called personal time off? It is not the same as vacation. That FTO you can use when you sick or for personal reason. Hope that help. Thanks.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Even if laid off by the employer. Vacation time, yes. Personal and sick time, no.

Just to make it absolutely clear, there are no circumstances whatsoever under which MA law requires the payout of anything but vacation time. No matter what the reason for the employee's leaving.

shawnusa

Even if laid off by the employer. Vacation time, yes. Personal and sick time, no.

Just to make it absolutely clear, there are no circumstances whatsoever under which MA law requires the payout of anything but vacation time. No matter what the reason for the employee's leaving.
Thank you so much!

FlyingRon

Personal Time Off or whatever they like to call it is used in companies that have STD coverage. Essentially, rather than accruing sick leave (which as pointed out you don't get compensated for on termination), you get a few "sick" days to use prior to the STD kicking in. These are almost aways don't continue to accrue even if you work there (they're erased at the end of the year).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">