• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

FLORIDA: Employee File

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

koobselas

What is the name of your state? FLorida

Sorry, I could not determine which category to post this: My previous employer has 3 health care clinics. One has been closed (by the company because of $$$), one may be sold or closed, and the one I worked at is supposed to be closed down, unless they find a buyer. I left a few weeks ago for ethical reasons. As part of my employee file, copies of my paychecks, my social security card, and my driver's license, were kept in an unlocked desk drawer in an office that was freely accessible to all employees. We did not keep performance reviews or internal notes on the employees. My question is, what are my rights to keep my social secuirty card copy and driver's license copy safe if this clinic shuts down or is sold to a new owner? Do I have any rights to have my SS# destroyed? They already have a seedy history and I don't want my identity stolen. In 4-6 weeks, 8-10 people were hired/fired, half of which sit at the desk with the unlocked drawer and employee files, the other half still had full access to those files if they were mildly resourceful. But I think in Florida I have no rights for something like this, and I fear there is nothing I can do but wait for my identity to be stolen. South Florida is a hotbed for this kind of stuff. Any advice? If I can't get my ss# destroyed, how do I demand that those files be locked up? If they close down, do I have a right to witness the shredding of ss# copy some how or something?What is the name of your state?

Beth3

You have no right to dictate to any employer what records they keep and how they're maintained. It's stupid of any employer not to keep employee records like this under lock and key however the law doesn't require them to.

You certainly can ASK the employer to either destroy or lock those records up but they're free to do as they please.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">