• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Florida -- Holidays?? Do Employers here know they exist?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nilaja

Since I've moved to Florida in every place I've worked the employers decided what Holidays you get off. I currently work at a place where I've been told we get no Holidays and no compensation for Holidays worked. My last place of employment only gave six holidays off and prior to that five holidays. I thought Federal Holidays were mandatory. I would like to know what Florida state law requires, if it is required at all. I'm from New York and in New York every employer did give the Federal Holidays or compensation (time/money) for Holidays work.

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Cheap employers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For Florida: type in quotes legal holiday or statutory holiday. http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?Mode=Search% 20Statutes&Submenu=2&Tab=statutes

I would imagine if it was a religious holiday, it would be in violation of eeoc regulations, particularly the civil rights act.

B

buddy2bear

Holidays! What are they? It depends on the industry, the employer, or union contract, whether or not they have to be given. Holidays are a "benefit." Religious holidays, now that's another story. Many state laws say that you MUST have your religious day off, however, they qualify that -- You have to prove you are a religious person AND if the business, i.e., hospital, etc., can prove that they must operate 24/7 and your position is essential, and giving you a religious day off is overburdensome and places an undue hardship on the employer, then you are just out-of-luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">