• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

FMLA -- How much notice must I give?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? California.

My mom might be sick -- her doctor will be running some tests on Monday of next week. Until then, we can only hope and pray all is well.

If she turns out to be sick, I will definitely want to take some time off of work (especially since my employer has not been that kind to me lately -- family is WAY more important to me than my current job). How much notice do I need to give if I'd like to take time off due to family medical leave? This just all happened this morning, and we're (the family) still trying to cope with the news.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

~Wick~

Beth3

Wick, the FMLA only allows you to take leave if you are needed to provide necessary medical care for your mother if she has a "serious health condition" (which is also defined in the FMLA.) It does not provide for "compasionate leave", no matter how understandable it is that you would want time off work to be with your mother/family if she has a serious illness.

If you DO qualify for FMLA , you are required to provide not less than 30 days advance notice except when the date of treatment (of the family member) begins sooner than 30 days. In that case, the law requires you to give as much advance notice as is practicable. Additionally, your employer may require you to use any paid vacation time or other paid time off as part of your FMLA leave as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">