• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fmla question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mackky

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Arkansas

I have been approved for FMLA for depression and sleep apnea and I have been told by my employer that I get 12 weeks for each medical occurance for a total of 24 weeks. I have checked the dol website and it doesnt say 12 weeks for each. My understanding of this law is: 12 weeks per rolling year regardless of how many medical situations I have. I need to know this because I have been out for 6 weeks for depression and 3 weeks for sleep apnea for a total of 9 weeks. Also I would like to know if disciplinary action can be taken against me for my performance and errors while I am on fmla. Thank you. :confused:

pattytx

The law provides for a 12-week period in either a 12-month rolling period or a fixed 12-month period; it is the company's choice. All FMLA does is require you to be treated the same as an employee not on FMLA. If you are on intermittent FMLA (you didn't say), the employee can still require the same job performance when you are at work, and you can still be disciplined for whatever activity you may do, as long as others would be as well. You just can't be treated more strictly than others not on FMLA and you cannot be retaliated against solely for taking FMLA.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">