• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

FMLA-Terminated when asked for leave

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

TNoeEncore

I live in Central Arkansas. In Dec.98' I asked for a leave of absence to help take care of my father with metestatic cancer of the brain. (Terminal) I didn't know about the FMLA, but since I had worked for the company for over 6 yrs, I thought they would understand and would grant it. (My immediate employer was out for several months due to illnesses.) I was also on vacation at the time of the request. I was notified by mail within 5 days that I was "terminated". My father died in June of that year, I bought a business and have been working for myself for over 2 yrs. now and have moved on with my life. My former employer is opening up another office and called to see if I would come back to work for him. I told him I would. He has tried to get the administrator to rehire me to no avail. The administrator said that I was a risk for being rehired because the human resource person told him that I had gone to a lawyer. (which I didn't) The adminstrator also is saying that I was not fired that I was terminated, and that they are not the same thing. There are a lot of other things that happened that I won't go into at this time, but I would like some advice on what action I should take.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">