• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Force to resign

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jjsjjba

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA
I made a comment "I've been with the company 13 years and unfortunately it will be ending soon", two days later my manager's manager came to me and said "we will pay you for the two days left in this week and one more full week, but today will be your last day coming in". My manager never talked to me, it was all done via his manager who also stated that I would need to put my resignation in writing in order for it to be valid. He also gave me a form which used the word "termination" in regards to the one week two day pay that he wanted me to sign... which I did not sign. Was I wrongfully terminated, or are they correct in saying "my verbal resignation was accepted"?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA
I made a comment "I've been with the company 13 years and unfortunately it will be ending soon", two days later my manager's manager came to me and said "we will pay you for the two days left in this week and one more full week, but today will be your last day coming in". My manager never talked to me, it was all done via his manager who also stated that I would need to put my resignation in writing in order for it to be valid. He also gave me a form which used the word "termination" in regards to the one week two day pay that he wanted me to sign... which I did not sign. Was I wrongfully terminated, or are they correct in saying "my verbal resignation was accepted"?
What makes you think you were wrongfully terminated? It appears that you were simply terminated. I suggest that you Google the term "wrongful termination" to understand the critera for wrongful termination.

jjsjjba

?

What makes you think you were wrongfully terminated? It appears that you were simply terminated. I suggest that you Google the term "wrongful termination" to understand the critera for wrongful termination.
Is resignation and termination the same?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Is resignation and termination the same?
Resignation means you are voluntarily giving up your position for your own reasons. Termination means that you are no longer going to be employed. Most people equate termination with being fired, but that's not necessarily the case.

jjsjjba

I'm lost

One usually allows you to get unemployment and the other one usually does not. (Depending on many factors.) Resigning is the one where you don't get unemployment.
Was I terminated or will this be classified as a resignation... or do I need to wait to hear more from the employer since it just happen last week and I've yet to hear any updates?

OHRoadwarrior

It appears you will no longer have a job. Were you s******g off, when you said it or do you have another job? You may or may not get UI. You have almost a week to suck up.

(wow, the language discriminator makes the word opposite "dumbing" really look offensive)

Was I terminated or will this be classified as a resignation... or do I need to wait to hear more from the employer since it just happen last week and I've yet to hear any updates?

Zigner

You resigned. You will most likely not be eligible for unemployment.

If you were terminated for cause (ie: you did something "wrong") then you wouldn't be eligible for unemployment.
If you were terminated not for cuase (ie: you didn't do something "wrong) then you would be eligible for unemployment.

Those are very generalized statements.

(To be clear, being terminated doesn't automatically mean you qualify for unemployment)

jjsjjba

It appears you will no longer have a job. Were you s******g off, when you said it or do you have another job? You may or may not get UI. You have almost a week to suck up.

(wow, the language discriminator makes the word opposite "dumbing" really look offensive)
Another job. But what I came across the day before the last day of work was my manager's manager (the one who gave me the hammer) was his personal notes that he kept on our company SharePoint portal.. these notes on me were wrong (he say she say) and it appeared to be the making of a plan to get me fired. I'm ok with that, but it seems I made it easier on them by my statement of "ending soon". So I'm wondering if I can go after a severance package better than one week and 2 days?

Zigner

Another job. But what I came across the day before the last day of work was my manager's manager (the one who gave me the hammer) was his personal notes that he kept on our company SharePoint portal.. these notes on me were wrong (he say she say) and it appeared to be the making of a plan to get me fired. I'm ok with that, but it seems I made it easier on them by my statement of "ending soon". So I'm wondering if I can go after a severance package better than one week and 2 days?
There is no requirement that they offer ANY severance.

tranquility

The first thing those with knowledge know (I didn't, I just learned it here.) say is to file for unemployment. You don't have to make the determination, they do. If the company denies, you may have to argue things. The claim that what you reported you said was a verbal resignation will be pretty hard for them to support in a hearing.

Antigone*

You should be happy that you got a week and two days. There is no duty to give you any time other than the actual time you worked.

Zigner

The first thing those with knowledge know (I didn't, I just learned it here.) say is to file for unemployment. You don't have to make the determination, they do. If the company denies, you may have to argue things. The claim that what you reported you said was a verbal resignation will be pretty hard for them to support in a hearing.
OP already has a new job.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">