• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forced Into Quiting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dodgegal2010

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nebraska

I worked at a Daycare. I got to take my little ones with me, which was a total plus! To get to the point, I got called in to my boss's office last week and was told that she had somethings to discuss with me.

1) On Feb 3rd, I got a call stating a close relative's heart had stopped after having very minor surgery and to get to the hospital ASAP. The first thing on my mind was to notify my boss. So, my husband got ahold of her through email. She responded back right away saying she was thinking about me and to let her know what takes place. I was scheduled to work the two following days, three hour shifts. My husband sent out emails to the other employees asking if anyone can cover my shifts? I kept in contact with my boss and she seemed very understanding. She even sent out emails to others notifying them of what was taking place and helped to find a replacement for me. I missed three days of work. I got a dr's note and gave it to her just cause I thought it was a good idea.

Well, at the meeting, she brought up how bad it was that I had taken those three days off. That was "Uncalled for". I brought to her attention the emails and phone calls that took place and how if this was a problem, she should have came out and told me. I would have went into work, even though at the time I would have rather been by my relatives side. But she never mentioned anything about her being mad. So, her coming out and saying that it was uncalled for was a shock.

The second thing she brought up was that she had a report of someone hearing me use the word "Pissed". I couldnt beleive that one. I said that was so very untrue. She didnt say anything at all.

The third thing, was that someone reported me spanking my own child. I brought to her attention that yes, I did spank my child in a private restroom. I had brought my child that day to work and he was throwing a huge fit. He started to throw things and it almost hit another child. So I took him out of the area and into a closed private restroom. I had to get him calmed down and instead of calming down, he started to fuss more. So, I swated him once. No one was in the room but him and I. So, when she said someone saw me spanking him, I couldnt see how that was possible. She had nothing to say in regards to me telling her this. But I did bring to her attention that another employee who also brings her children to work with her, did spank her child in the daycare room. She ignored my report though. The human resource gal that was with us, interupted me and said this meeting was about me and not anyone else.

After I tried to bring up another employee doing the same thing, my boss came out and said this... Well, you can still work with us, but you cant bring your kids with you. I looked at her and said, "what am I suppose to do with my toddlers"? She said I'd have to find care elsewhere.

Im the one they hired. Not my kids. So I dont see how it would matter if my kids are with me at work or not in this situation. That didnt make much sense. I didnt know what to say after she said that. The human resource gal then came out and said that I'd have to take a voluntary discharge. I never said I would quit, or anything. I never signed anything. I was in shock that things like this were even brought up.

I wrote a letter to the director, my boss, and the corporate offices. I mailed it certified and saw they recieved the letter the following day after I sent it. Four buisness days went by and I heard nothing. So I called. I spoke to the director and the corporate office. Both are agreeing with my boss. They got very rude and said that they go with what the papers say. I came out and said that I never did say I wanted to quit, I never signed anything as well.
It was the HR gal that started talking and wrote stuff down. I expressed how unfair it was for me to report another employee doing the same thing and I be the one who gets a talking to and given the ultimadium to either stay and not bring my kids to work, or quit. While the other gal is still working there and did the same thing.

Is there anything I can do? I dont want to return to work. I want this matter to be delt with, so that the other employee that did the same thing gets treated the same way I did. She should get a talking to and told the same thing. Either she doesnt bring her kids while she works or she quits. I feel that they told me this becuase they knew I wouldnt be able to work. I was working 8 hours a week, and after talking with my boss for months to get more hours, she wouldnt give me no more than that. Its not worth working 8 hours a week at $7.25 an hour and have to pay for child care for 2 toddlers.

I'm just upset at how they can let another employee who did the same thing off the hook.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nebraska

Isis1

you cannot require an employer to punish two employees the same. when you own your own business, you can run it the way you want.

here's the thing, when you witnessed the other emplyee spank the child, did you report it? or just save it to make the accusation?

you were asked to leave your children somewhere else. they felt you could not handle your job AND your children. you could have found daycare elsewhere and kept your job. you chose not to.

so now, you are out of a job. good luck in your future emplyment search. :)

Dodgegal2010

I witnessed the other employee earlier that day. I tried to reach the boss, but she wasnt in her office at the time. So, when she called and said to come on in, I was going to tell her then. Thats when I told her. But she ignored me and apparently doesnt believe it. Someone reported me, and I should have the same right to report someone else.

The reason I cant work, is because I was only able to have 8 hours a week. Now with only being paid $7.25 an hour, weekly thats only $58. Daycare for two toddlers, would cost just as much. I didnt come out and tell her this, but I was thinking I could no way afford daycare and come to work for only 8 hours a week. Now if I was working more hours, thats a different story. But its not worth working for $58 a week and paying more out of my pocket for daycare. Why work then?

Besides, its not the fact that she told me I cant bring my kids to work, its how she handled me reporting the other employee. I dont see how its fair to let an employee go because of what someone reported about me, but then when I report another employee for doing the exact same thing, only she spanked her child right in front of parents and employees! She gets to keep her job and not be told she cant bring her kids with her. Thats what I think is totally unfair.

Isis1

I witnessed the other employee earlier that day. I tried to reach the boss, but she wasnt in her office at the time. So, when she called and said to come on in, I was going to tell her then. Thats when I told her. But she ignored me and apparently doesnt believe it. Someone reported me, and I should have the same right to report someone else.

The reason I cant work, is because I was only able to have 8 hours a week. Now with only being paid $7.25 an hour, weekly thats only $58. Daycare for two toddlers, would cost just as much. I didnt come out and tell her this, but I was thinking I could no way afford daycare and come to work for only 8 hours a week. Now if I was working more hours, thats a different story. But its not worth working for $58 a week and paying more out of my pocket for daycare. Why work then?

Besides, its not the fact that she told me I cant bring my kids to work, its how she handled me reporting the other employee. I dont see how its fair to let an employee go because of what someone reported about me, but then when I report another employee for doing the exact same thing, only she spanked her child right in front of parents and employees! She gets to keep her job and not be told she cant bring her kids with her. Thats what I think is totally unfair.
oh honey. i hate to be the bearer of bad news. i really do. this was actually your mother and father's responsibility to teach you this. but here goes.

life. is not fair. the law, is not meant to be fair.

Dodgegal2010

oh honey. i hate to be the bearer of bad news. i really do. this was actually your mother and father's responsibility to teach you this. but here goes.

life. is not fair. the law, is not meant to be fair.
My mother and father taught me responsibility. This has nothing to do with them or being responsible. This has to do with a major company that popular everywhere, and how they treat their employees. In this case, they take two of their employees who did the same exact thing, and forces one of them to quit by giving them an ultimadium. With the other, they just let go. Now if I were in my boss's shoes, I certainly wouldnt let one go and not the other. But thats me.

swalsh411

It was unfair. We get it. 90% of the people who post in this forum had something unfair happen to them. But unfair doesn't mean illegal and nothing you have posted indicates your employer broke any laws.

Hot Topic

My impression is that minimum wage is around $9. You should check that out.

The mothers here may correct me, but I don't see how swatting a child who's misbehaving "calms" him or her down or otherwise achieves the kind of behavior you're looking for.

Most people don't have the luxury of taking their kids to work with them. If a child is creating a problem, then the company has the right to tell the mom or dad that the child is no longer allowed there. Why should employees who don't have kids be subjected to tantrums?

Your jealousy of the other employee says more about you than it does about anything she may have done. And I think being out for three days unless it's for your mother, father, brother or sister, is pushing things.

Dodgegal2010

My impression is that minimum wage is around $9. You should check that out.

The mothers here may correct me, but I don't see how swatting a child who's misbehaving "calms" him or her down or otherwise achieves the kind of behavior you're looking for.

Most people don't have the luxury of taking their kids to work with them. If a child is creating a problem, then the company has the right to tell the mom or dad that the child is no longer allowed there. Why should employees who don't have kids be subjected to tantrums?

Your jealousy of the other employee says more about you than it does about anything she may have done. And I think being out for three days unless it's for your mother, father, brother or sister, is pushing things.
To answer your question, it was for my grandfather. He had a very minor surgery which went great, but then had a heart attack and his heart stopped. Drs came out saying they were going to give up and call it soon. But seconds later, his heart began on its own. Im very close with my grandfather. There was another employee just weeks before this took place with my grandfather who had a grandmother in critical condition. She took off a week. Nothing was said or done to her. Now does that seem fair?

Im not jealous of this other employee. I actually got along great with this other employee. Yes, its a huge plus to be able to take your kids to work with you. She and I both agreed to that. But both she and I did spank our children. Im sure every parent out there has. It wasnt nothing bad, it was something that needed to be done. And for the employees who dont have kids, its their choice to stay with the company, working in a daycare you get lots of kids throwing fits. Thats part of the job. Take it or leave it. But what we both did, only one of us got in "trouble" for. Thats the part I dont think is fair. There is no way in hell Im jealous of her. I wouldnt want to work for the company ever after seeing how they handle things with the employees. Anyone can see they like to "pick" who they want to keep, and allow the others to stay, despite what they do, bad or good. In this case, we both did something wrong and only one was punished for it.

Your statement:
If a child is creating a problem, then the company has the right to tell the mom or dad that the child is no longer allowed there.

Yes, I do agree with that. Both her and my child were throwing fits. Creating a problem. They should have sat us both down and told us that are children are not allowed to be there. Not just one of us.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">