• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forced Part-Time?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

latarpley

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I am a full-time non-exempt employee for the past 5 years. The company institued a new business model and stopped hiring full-time non-management employees several months ago. I been notified my store is closing at the end of February and that I will be transferred to another local store, but my status will be changed to Part-Time. This will affect all my benefits, including medical coverage. Do I have any other recourse other than requesting COBRA status for medical insurance and requesting the company to file "Partial Unemployment" due to lack of hours? I believe they will say they have the "hours" but not the "full-time" position to avoid unemployment compensation.

ecmst12

If your hours are cut, you can file partial unemployment. However you can't do anything about the benefits, they are not required to offer you benefits (whether you are classefied as "part time" OR "full time". They ARE required to offer you Cobra, I believe. It will be expensive. Your recourse is to find a new job, or apply for a management position (after 5 years, shouldn't be that unreasonable).

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And the state will be the one to decide if you qualify for unemployment or not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">