• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

forced to quit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bebbz2300

What is the name of your state? new jersey

i worked with a company for over a year. once i found out i was pregnant they gave me some "paid" personal leave because i was having complications. they also lessened my responsibilities "to help me" and verbally told me that my salary would not be affected. i signed off on it with my manager and was told pay day that i would not be getting it. i fought that and 6 weeks later was paid on it with an 8,000 dollar a year salary cut since my duties had been reduced. i continuosly went to them for health benefits and was told one excuse or another. now my fiance was also laid off and decided that he would take a job down south 1 1/2 hours away and he is the one that drives me to and from work. i had told my employer that i would have to quit because i cant afford working there since i was under his health and my salary was cut by 8 grand a year and i dont have a car of my own to get me to and from work. the cost of daycare in the summer alone with me having to buy a car and commute to his house in south jersey since that is where he is moving and i live with him would be more than i would be earning so i quit my job. i was told after i left that they are going to refuse me unemployment because they think i am taking the summer off because i would make more money. well essentially i would be able to afford living with unemployment until i got another job, but there were many other things factoring my decision to leave and i stressed this to them time and time again. i felt then and feel now that i was forced out of my position because of the pregnancy and i just couldent afford working there with the pay cuts. there was another one before i left but it was across the board. would i be able to fight this and still claim unemployment?

Beth3

Your employer doesn't decide who receives unemployment benefits, the State does. You need to apply for benefits and the State will make a decision on your eligibilty.

As to your other issues, when the employer lessened your responsibilities, was it because you asked them to or because you had a doctor's note giving you medical restrictions?

bebbz2300

neither, we had an incident at work that they had told me to perform in an area that i did not have any training what so ever on. When my manager came over to ask why i wasent doing it i said to him that i did not know how and no one had trained me and that i felt that it was too stressful for me to be in ort (that is thier outbound dialer in our sales office) i was having stress related problems with my pregnancy in the first trimester. he then told me to leave and not to ever come back and i asked him for my termination letter then and he said you will get it in the mail and he gave me a write up, this was the first write up i had ever received. i called them later on to get my termination letter and was told oh no you misunderstood him we thought you wanted to go home because you were stressed so we gave you the day off (he clearly said infront of many people clock out and dont ever come back, you are terminated) i went back in and was told to take some time off and it was noted on the schedule as personal leave, i never asked for any of it and i was told i would be paid for it. at that time he said he was putting me on tier 2 because it will lessen the stress but my salary would not be affected. 6 weeks later when i was finally paid for those 4 days off they cut my salary by 8 thousand a year

Beth3

Then the Pregnancy Discrimination Act and other federal laws that prohibit certain types of discrimination apply. I can't tell for certain as a full examination of all the pertinent facts and circumstances are required, but it is possible that a violation of the PDA occurred inasmuch as you were likely treated less favorably than a similarly situated non-employee would have been. You may want to contact an employment law attorney to discuss bringing a claim or contact the EEOC.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">