• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forced to quit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wondering 2

I have been employed as a part time bartender (2 nights a week) by a **Sample** for over two years.
Recently, to pick up extra money, I started working at another center, (1 night a week) not realizing it would cause a problem.

Tuesday, 1/24/06: The manager gave me an ultimatum; Chose between the two centers; reason: conflict of interest. Referring to the employee manual which I received two years prior.

Paragraph in employee manual:
Conflicts of Interest:
We expect that you will refrain from activities which cause (or appear to cause) a divided loyalty between you and the legitimate business interests of ***sample**. Although employees may go to other centers, you should not work for or act on behalf of another center or business that is similar to, or in competition with, ***sample**.
Employees should discuss their intentions with the home office before accepting jobs with a potential conflict of interest.

Is this a guideline or is it grounds for termination.
I think they want me to quit, or put in my notice.
Can they make me quit?
I am not sure if this is legal. Please help!
***(name changed for privicy)

Last edited:

mlane58

Is this a guideline or is it grounds for termination.
Its both. Your employer has a policy in place and you violated it by your post.
think they want me to quit, or put in my notice.
Do ya think? I believe it will more than likely be that they fire you for violating a company policy.
Can they make me quit?
Absolutely not. They can't make you do anything that you don't want to, they can as I previously stated fire you.
I am not sure if this is legal.
It is most certainly legal, as not only did you violate their policy, but you are an at will employee and they can fire you for anything as long as it not for your gender, religon, race, national origin, etc....

Beth3

Can they make you quit the other job? No. Can they fire you if you refuse to do so? Yes. You need to decide which job is more valuable to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">