• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

forced to quit/discrimination-MD

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vernita

What is the name of your state?I was hired 1 year and 1/2 ago as a Java software developer. Since I have been employed, I have consistently been given tasks that do not allow me to develop software using Java, which is what I thought I was hire to do. When I asked to be given tasks that were more appropriate to my job title, I was told that anything that I'm asked to do which benefit the company is part of my job description. Since I have been complaining, my manager has started to pick at everything I do in order to get me to quit. I have been looking for a new job. However, because I work in the technology field and I have not been utilizing my skill for over a year, I’m having problems finding a new job. There are other people in my department which are given tasks appropriate to their job title. Someone told me that I might be a victim of discrimination. However I'm the only African American in my department. So I have no way showing a pattern of this type of treatment with African Americans. I am ready to just quit without another job. But this seems unfair to me, since I was told that was going to be doing Java development when I was hire.

Also there isn't anyone in the company to which I can complain. My manager is a Vice President and has been with the company for 20 years. She has more power than the president of the company.

In addition, prior to this job, I have had an excellent 10 year as software developer. I have been rewarded many times for my skills and abilities and I'm one of the most skilled people in my department. Anytime the company bids on a contract, I'm asked by the president to submit my resume which seems to anger my manager and results in her giving me more menial tasks. Do I have any rights or means to legally to stand up for myself?

Beth3

When I asked to be given tasks that were more appropriate to my job title, I was told that anything that I'm asked to do which benefit the company is part of my job description. Which is true for everyone; not just you.

However I'm the only African American in my department. So I have no way showing a pattern of this type of treatment with African Americans. It is illogical to believe management decided to hire a black Java programmer simply to give him job duties he wouldn't like. If they had a problem with your race, they wouldn't have hired you in the first place.

Anytime the company bids on a contract, I'm asked by the president to submit my resume which seems to anger my manager and results in her giving me more menial tasks. Even if there's a connection between the two (which also seems unlikely), that's not illegal.

Do I have any rights or means to legally to stand up for myself? You have the right to find other employment that is more suitable. Like many others, you took a new job which didn't turn out to be what you hoped it would. Nothing you have shared remotely suggests anything prohibited is taking place.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">