• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

forced to quit-intolerable work conditions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dipenn

What is the name of your state?undefinedWhat is the name of your state? Georgia

I was recently employed by a county government department as a camp counselor/clerical assistant by the director of a local non profit county run community theatre (for whom I also auditioned and got a part in the current production). After I made a mistake on filling out a form, the director said, "Are you that dumb?". When I told him it was inappropriate to call me dumb, he said he didn't call me dumb, just asked if I was dumb. (I'm a recent honors grad with a 3.88 GPA, so I told him I was indeed not dumb). He then continued to further berate me in front of another employee until I was reduced to tears. The next night I resigned from both the job and the part in the play. This same director has made similar comments to other play participants (only the high school and college age girls) in previous productions. Do have I a case against him, and can I collect the pay that he owes me for the days that I worked?

Beth3

Do have I a case against him No. He's a jerk but that's not against the law. Nor does what you describe constitute intolerable working conditions.

can I collect the pay that he owes me for the days that I worked? Sure. GA doesn't have a regulation that states when final wages must be paid but in those State's lacking a statute, the courts have generally held that final pay is due no later than the next regular pay day. You worked for the county; I really can't imagine they plan on stiffing you.

Call their payroll department and ask when your last check will be mailed.

D

dipenn

When only the young women are verbally abused.....

Georgia

Thanks for your reply. How is it that this is not harassment or discrimination when this guy only humiliates the young girls, never the guys? He does this both in private and in front of quite a few people. All the girls are afraid to speak out because most of them are interested in getting future parts in plays in the town or are considering drama as a major or a career. He told another female student, "I didn't know you were that stupid" in front of the entire cast. Is there no one who can represent us as a group to stop this behavior?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">