• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forced Relocation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

neokrelic

I live in Upstate NY and currently commute about 5 miles to work. With no notice my company has relocated my office 51 miles one way from my home with no reasonable accomodations. If I choose not to relocate the company is not going to lay me off but fire me. What laws protect the employee in this situation. It seems as though anything posted on the Internet protects the employer.

Any assitance in this matter will help me make an informed decision.

Thanks

K

krispenstpeter

Nothing the company has done is illegal. It's your choice to move closer or not.

Time to start thinking isn't it?

N

neokrelic

Unfortunaly the job situation in Upstate NY, to put it in perspective Sucks. I'm sure that's why they are not willing to make any accomadations. If my contract mentions the job location, can I use that as a defense?

K

krispenstpeter

Listen, no one, especially me, is going to sit here playing 20 questions. IF your contract mentions relocation then type out here EXACTLY word for word what it says.

If your contract does not mention it, then again, SOL.

K

krispenstpeter

Well, don't hold your breath on getting a reply from anyone else then.

You just blew it.

Beth3

"If I choose not to relocate the company is not going to lay me off but fire me" And the difference is??? Answer: none.

Are you asking if you can use your contract as a "defense" to elect to be laid off rather than fired? For the purposes of your situation, there is no difference. Of course maybe your snotty attitude ("Sorry to bother you 'GOD'") is why they don't mind losing you.

Beth3

". . . and I sit at his right hand!"

IAAL, I'm only surprised that you're willing to take the #2 spot. :D

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Beth3 said:
Of course maybe your snotty attitude ("Sorry to bother you 'GOD'") is why they don't mind losing you.

My response:

Well, now wait a minute, Beth. If "snotty attitudes" were the criterion by which people in New York were "fired", then three-quarters of the State, or more, would be on unemployment.

You have to remember, New Yorkers are "born" with chips on their shoulders, and mouths that need to be washed out with soap.

So, that can't possibly be the reason for his relocation, or the reason why his employer won't "accommodate" him.

IAAL

N

neokrelic

While I would love to sponsor a spitting match between the two of you I tend to think that

krispenstpeter response:
"Listen, no one, especially me, is going to sit here playing 20 questions. IF your contract mentions relocation then type out here EXACTLY word for word what it says."

was far more snotty. I'll seek some "Professional" help.

K

krispenstpeter

ahhh but Beth, Cisco knows he can claim the seat any time him wishes. :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">